Slash 4x4 gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeoverCurve57

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums and Rc's in general so sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about. I just bought a 1/10 Traxxas slash 4x4 off one of my friends. I know it has a castle creations engine in it, but I don't know which one or any information about it. I want to change my gearing to get a little more speed, but I don't know what to go to. The truck currently has the stock gearing it came with. The current gearing is great offroading but I want just a little more top speed for when I drive on road. What would be the best gearing that I don't have to worry about overheating my engine and can still have fun offroad, but can gain more speed? Thanks in advance!
Also, I run the truck on a 2s lipo

Last edited:
Welcome in! What KV is the motor, and what can size is it? It should say it somewhere on it. Also, what ESC are you running? And how hot does it get right now?

I'm running a Hobbywing ESC, can't remember what model. It warms up but I can touch it for more than 3 seconds. I look a the engine now and see what KV it is.
The engine is 5700 kv. Where would I find the can size

Last edited:
Castle only makes the 5700kv as a 1406 sized motor (assuming it's the 4 pole version, the 2 pole was discontinued a while ago). The size is a little small and the kv is quite high for a 4wd, so I would go up 1 tooth on the pinion at a time to see how it does. Here's a link with more info on the motor: https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...brushless-motor-5700kv-cse06-00057-00/p584765

If you don't want to spend a lot on pinion gears to test out the best gearing, Amazon and eBay have a lot of cheap pinion gear sets. You can use the cheap pinions to decide which gearing works best for you and then get a higher quality pinion later if needed.

I wanted to say go 3s for a near 50% increase in speed, but that is a high KV motor for a Slash 4x4. You'd be better of going with a 3500-ish KV 3660 (550 can) motor in the long run. Probably not much room to gear up with this one.

I'm running a Hobbywing ESC, can't remember what model. It warms up but I can touch it for more than 3 seconds. I look a the engine now and see what KV it is.
The engine is 5700 kv. Where would I find the can size
I’d say go up 1 tooth at a time, 5700kv is made for touring cars and other on-roads. Buy a pinion set to save some money on testing.

All good responses. I agree, 5700kv is really high for a 4wd. That motor will be struggling to go fast, so definitely get a temp gun to make sure you keep the temps in check. 170° F is easy to reach on an RC motor that is being overworked, and that is where things start to get a little dicey. I keep mine below 160° F just to be safe, and once I hit that, I go back down to the next smaller pinion gear size. If you hit that temp once, odds are with use, that temperature will only climb as bearings stiffen up, parts wear, etc.

Thank you all for the responses, the truck currently has a 13t pinion so I'm going to buy a pinion set and a heat gun and test the different pinions to see what works the best. Do I need to change my spur gear at all or should I just leave it where it is now?
Also, how do I know what pitch my current gears are?

It's 32P or Mod 0.8 on the 4x4. No need to change the spur, you have room to gear up with the pinions.