Slash 4x4 2200kv gearing.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EfrainCG

RCTalk Basher
Active Military
Reaction score
hey guys! just want to get your advice on gearins for a slash 4x4 with a 2200 kv castle creations on it.

I'm looking for crazy acceleration and great speed for a "friendly competition" against a neighbor.

thank you guys.

Well this is basically the chart to live by... You might even be able able to produce a little more speed with the motor upgrade! What are you running up against?

6808_speed-chart_med.jpg

Thank you for the Chart! I am running against a 4S Rustler.

The Velineon system cannot run 4s.. So its not a stock ESC/motor combo, do you know what it is? Also what battery are you planning to run? This should be interesting. :D

it has a castle creations 5700kv on ridiculous 4s. it does 2 passes and it overheats. I just ordered HRB 6000mah 50C 6s battery.

Given that your rigs are around the same size/weight, your competition is able to produce more RPMs with their motor. More RPMs = higher top speed... Since your competition has a higher kv motor, it will draw more current which will cause it to overheat faster than your lower kv motor. Good luck :thumbs-up:!

Your setup:
2200kv * 22.2v = 48,840 RPMs

Competition's setup:
5700kv * 14.8v = 84,360 RPMs

Interesting for sure! The slash with 4wd Def has the advantage as far as getting the power to the ground and keeping it moving in a straight line. If this is a straight up drag race, spend a lil time getting the slash set up for speed and weighted to make sure it keeps the front end planted when you launch.You winning this one is gonna be ALL about set up! Also, keep in mind when you gear it up, you might not be running much longer than they are before you overheat. If you get the set up right and have a set of tires that hooks up nice, even with "1/2" the motor, you can still whupazz!!! Any chance of getting this on video??? :stick:

Interesting for sure! The slash with 4wd Def has the advantage as far as getting the power to the ground and keeping it moving in a straight line. If this is a straight up drag race, spend a lil time getting the slash set up for speed and weighted to make sure it keeps the front end planted when you launch.You winning this one is gonna be ALL about set up! Also, keep in mind when you gear it up, you might not be running much longer than they are before you overheat. If you get the set up right and have a set of tires that hooks up nice, even with "1/2" the motor, you can still whupazz!!! Any chance of getting this on video??? :stick:

Half the motor in terms of RPMs, but with the torque advantage he should be able to run a lower gear ratio than his competitor. You can put all the work into gearing, but its the setup that wins.

Yes, poorly termed, I know... Def has the torque to push the win! I guess the question comes down to how badly do you want the win? Well, that and is there enough time to get the set up locked down? I see it being realistic for sure!

Sometimes is just comes down to how much money each competitor wants to throw at their rig. As long as he spends time getting the right setup with lots of tests, I smell a win. :thumbs-up:

thank you guys for the responses! my work definetly take a lot of time away from my hobby!
after all the smack talking we been doing, we will def get this on vid.
I threw a couple of bucks on my Slash... I need to do so many test passes! as soon as I get my House Hold Goods i will start working on it and make this race happen.

HHG arrived, i will be doing the race soon!

what's better for street runs, foam or rubber tires?

Foam hooks better on asphalt but wears out significantly quicker than a rubber street tire. For the race, I would use foams, also they don't balloon!