silly question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehx20

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
possibly a stupid question...

but thankfully you guys dont mind answering them,

so here it goes, do bigger engines run hotter?

Dave

My experience is NO. They can generally run fuel with a higher nitro content which aids in cooling and larger motors generally have a proportionally larger head which also helps them cool the same as their smaller counterparts.

krud, my mta4 s50 is running v hot yet has tonnes of smoke so I'm plenty rich, i dont get it, I'm running 15% cool power, also I've burn my hand off the exhaust like bacon in the fryer, its red hot.

this could be normal.......but I've only ever ran small .12 engines hence the request for the advice

Dave

They all get hot enough to burn the crap out of you, unfortunately that part is normal. Do you have a temp gun, if you do what temps is it running at? If not the old water drop test will have to work...Put one drop of water on the top of the head. if it burns off in under two seconds you running hot. I haven't used this method in years and never tested it with a temp gun so I don't know how accurate it will be.

Also you can have one needle rich and one needle lean, this could cause the results your getting also.

Last edited:
believe it or not I'm an idiot, hot running temps have occured because of the following......

it has a 2 speed gear box, i have been raggin it after it has warmed up to get it to change to second gear....i totally forgot to rectify the 2nd gear timing so it comes in early allowing a fast enough speed without the engine goin to max rpm.....

you may point and give out to me.......or i can stand in the dunce corner....oh and the spit test....forget it...the drops just glide off the heat sink cuz its that hot, thank fully i only let it happen once.....i can't believe i over looked this....I'm a fool!!!!!

i had a similar problem when my 2nd gear became loose on my ts4n so it wasn't engaging and when i checked the temp via spit test....same result....

thanks for the help.....i better get adjusting tom

Edited...It's all good.

Last edited:
ah no mate, i ment that it was such a silly thing to over look that you should give out to me lol, i am seriously sorry if i came across that way. Us irish have a habbit of having our jokes misread.......seriously i really am sorry, i appreciate all help and all advice.

Again apologies
Dave

No worries, I just took it the wrong way. Sorry about that.