*Sigh* Just stripped my diff in my Inferno 7.5 (Pics Included)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just thought I would share my experience.. bah!! :-D

Suddenly the buggy would not move forward. Not without alot more throttle applied that usual. There were no unusual sounds so I had no clue, but knew that something was wrong.

I had just made a spider gear & diff oil mod to the center diff recently so I thought I would start with the rear and then the front diff. Included is a picture of what faced me when I removed the diff housing from the chassis plate.. Dry-ish grease with metal shaving sprinkles in it.. DOOH Toast :boxing:

I ended up doing a complete disassembly of the buggy. I bought the Sport RTR, and I have never completely done this before as I have with all of my other RC vehicles. I'm usually mechanically and tool declined and usually break both hammer and nail but when it comes to scale toys it usually works out. I guess the right tools = half the job done.

I will now do the spider gear & oil upgrade to all of my diffs. 5K in the center, 3K in the rear and 1K in the front. That is the weight of oils I have now. I hope this will be a resonable setup..

Now only thing left is ordering my stuf from Tower. Surprisingly the ring gear is cheaper in Denmark opposed to ALL other parts on ALL other RC cars/trucks... Tower = $36 ARGH... Denmark = approx. $22.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards.

Sasquatch said:
I will now do the spider gear & oil upgrade to all of my diffs. 5K in the center, 3K in the rear and 1K in the front. That is the weight of oils I have now. I hope this will be a resonable setup..

Conventional wisdom says that 3K front, 5K centre and 1K rear will be a more effective setup.

7K or 10K in the centre will be better still

OK. Why the higher weight in the front vs. back ?

make sure you shim them really well next time. They should last a decent amount of time if you shim right.

The sports and sports RTR kits have weaker cast metal or ally gears, whereas any 7.5 from the standard edition up has much stronger hardened steel gears. It might be wise to upgrade to those - while they are expensive - once they are shimmed right, they are indestructable.

as for what weights to use - JUST BECAUSE. :D

5000 front, 7000 center, and 1000 rear is a good way to go.

Oh yeah, it might also be a good idea to add the other two bevels and shaft into each of the diffs. All the other infernos run 4 bevs per diff.

*WHIP* :)

I get it. 5K front, 7K center, 1K back.

I just looked in the manual for a Kanai III Inferno and in the section showing the assembly of the diffs they are using the following:

Front: TDC (no weight mentioned. Anyone knows this?)
Center : 4K
Rear: 1K

Also they show some kind of re-enforcement to the front diff. Using 12 T spider gears instead of 10T and some kind of mounting block to put in the diff housing.

Anyone have info on this. Will I be able to perhaps "upgrade" to these spider gears and or blocks. ??

Rgards....

I think you mean TCD which is Traction Control Diff. The fluid is Limited Slip Diff. (LSD) and it has no weight and the oil is red. It is supposed to help with traction and overall driving. Yes you should be able to upgrade to this diff. and if you do you will also get the hardened gears with it, well if you were to buy the whole set up. It has floating gears inside that is why it has the little "blocks" you speak of. In my set up I have the TCD in front 7000 center and 1000 rear.

Maskale: Yes thats it. I looked at Tower and found the red oil and stuff you mention.

They don't seem to have the hardened diff stuff. Just the standard 10T silver version. I have used them in my upgrade (not the one diff waiting for parts).

I guess I will change the oil to match the suggested weights inhere.. :-D

Regards.

i have a question... if i needed some 1k oil, 3k oil & 5k oil... could i buyv a bottle of 1k, a bottle of 5 k, and do a 50/50 mix to get the 3k?

Sasquatch - don't bother with the expensive LSD gears. I run an LSD up front now, and used to just have a regular diff in my last 7.5, and to be frank with you there is no huge advantage to the LSD.

It'll save you the trouble of buying those cast gears all the time if you just get the hardened main gears though. I'll find them on tower in a sec.

dammit there is a lesbian movie on tv and I'm getting distracted!!!!111

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVD17&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXU142&P=ML

Those are the two gears you need (hardened main gears), if you got some money handy its a good upgrade. You obviously need two of each. If those ones are shimmed properly, they'll never strip.

And to upgrade to the 4 bevels per diff, it's a cheaper upgrade and you need these:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXT505&P=ML
and two sets of these:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVD22&P=ML

I'm sure I repeated something you already knew.

edit...
Parag0n - Yes that will work.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have done several searches and selected other Inferno models on Tower to se the replacement parts. I can only find the hardened gears in some LSD pack....

Regards.

you can go to Ebay.. and get a complete diff for like 40 bux.. that includes everything you need.. i highly reccommend doing that..

Yeah I'm with dg there, there's a lot of guys parting out K2/K3's on ebay and you can always find things cheaper on there if you don't mind putting in a little more effort.

Yeah I have a great connection on ebay. I have bought over $400 worth of stock replacement parts from him. His name is benkanai I believe. Tell him patrick from oklahoma sent ya. While your replacing the bevel gearss with the black hardened ones,also replace the bevel pinion gears with the same hardened ones.The black ones will last a while longer then the silver ones.Like said before,make sure you shim them properly

Thank you. I will go the "Ebay route" then.

Just seems odd I'm unable to buy the hardened ones seperate on Tower.

Hopefully international shipment will not be a problem....

Cheers.

you can buy them on tower.. if you want to spend 40 bux for just the big gear.. or 20 bux for 2 of the small pinion gears.. you can get both pinion gears for like 10 bux.. and a complete diff from Kanaiben for 40 bux..

Back