Should I use this 2010 quick charger on a modern battery?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acottcc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
The battery is a 7.2v, 6 cell 1400mAh Ni-MH. The charger specs 1500-5000mAh and good for Ni-CD or Ni-MH. I’ve been charging the battery overnight using the 100mAh trickle charger. That takes up to 14 hours to top off.

I’m wondering, is my charger outdated for modern Ni-MH batteries?

Will a battery 100mAh below charger spec harm the battery or charger?

image.jpg

@Acottcc that's a pretty dated charger but yes you should be just fine. I'm curious though, what are you using a 1400mAh battery for as that's a pretty small capacity compared to today's batteries.

@Acottcc that's a pretty dated charger but yes you should be just fine. I'm curious though, what are you using a 1400mAh battery for as that's a pretty small capacity compared to today's batteries.

I bought a Carisma Coyote last Monday. I bought the charger for my first attempt at RC. Now that I have more time and 4 year old daughter that likes to put flowers on the truck. We’re having fun with it, but the battery lasts about 45 minutes. So it’s good know the quick charger should work with it. I could upgrade batteries any suggestions.

C62AF257-DFA5-4EEA-BB3E-C249E1B952ED.jpeg

@Acottcc neat looking truck.

If it was me I'd go with a 2s LiPo, something like this SMC 5400mAh battery would give you much longer run time. That said you would certainly need to upgrade your battery charger if you go LiPo. But something like the Dynamite Sport would be a nice upgrade for you and would handle LiPo batteries as well.