should i get an e revo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypeONegative

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got 4 nitro revos one is the newest 3.3 the other two 2.5 chassis with 2.5s along with t maxx emaxx and my sons have x maxxes, not a huge fan on the x maxx but the e revo seems to highly priced and i watch my kids with the x maxx and ran my e maxx a few times i think i like the sound of notro and the metal chassis, should i get a brushless e revo or build a big block custom nitro revo? Thanks in advanced Jennifer/typeonegative btw my sons are 9 and 11 and are running the x maxxes on two 3s lipos and do not crash just roll them allot but i find myself they are to resposive compared to nitro this is a tough decision for me

Attachments

• 1482182860321.jpg
    1482182860321.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 119
I can't read that without proper grammar. it's in the rules you agreed to as well, you did read those rules, didn't you?

You are EXPECTED to:
  • Edit your posts for spelling and grammar. RCNitroTalk.com's usability depends on this.
    • Use capitalization
    • No excessive Internet jargon
    • Use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation

I'm used to texting I'm sorry, can i please get some opinions? I am not a little kid I'm 25 years old we all make mistakes. Sorry did not mean to break rules.

Relax, it's not like you've broken any rules. It's just common courtesy to write and punctuate in a way that's easy to understand. We've explained this to other members also, that having to try to interpret what was meant, and trying to figure out where one sentence ends and another begins will make a lot of members just skip your post and move on to others. We're here to help you. Just help us read your post without getting a blinding headache.

Thanks for understanding.

Now, as far as your question, E-Revos are pretty popular and have lots of support both on line and in hobby shops. They have an intense amount of low end torque as well as top end. If you use a good computer radio you can dial in the response you like or dial it down for the kids. You can change the starting speed and power (traction control and throttle curve) as well as the exponential (how that power curve responds) and top speed by limiting throttle travel. The same goes for steering and braking.

Last edited:
Do you think they are more popular than nitro? I'm having a hard time deciding.

I've owned both the Mini E Revo (MERV), and the E Revo Brushess Edition (ERBE). Both are hands down in my top 5 all time RC vehicles. I gave up nitro rigs when fuel prices went sky high here. Not to mention I used to store my rigs inside, and the cleanup got to be a pain. Once I had my first taste of the on demand torque of a good brushless setup, at almost any speed, I had no desire for anything nitro ever again. 40mph wheelies are fun! :D But, like most things, to each their own.

Once the brushless electrics showed up on the market they really took over the hobby. There are still lots of die-hard nitro fans but that requires more tinkering, tuning and general knowledge as opposed to electrics which are pretty much 'plug n play'.

I've been a diehard nitro fan for over 15 years in this hobby. I currently have 2 nitro revos, one full big block conversion with the new era kit and LRP28, the other with an OS21TM in it. I also have a savage X with an LRP30 in it and a lowely jato with a 2.5R in it.

I've wanted to get into electric for a while just to have something to play with in the winter. I have a couple micro's that I run around the house, but I wanted something worthy of bashing in the snow. So, for Christmas, my wife got me a brushless revo and it's pretty awesome. Even on 4S, it puts my big block revo to shame for on demand torque.

Since I have nitro revo's, I knew there were things I'd want to upgrade out of the gate, like RPM arms and carriers, steering servo, servo saver spring, shock springs/oil... What I didn't take fully into account was lipo packs and a proper charger. I had my wife order the traxxas dual ez-peak ID and 2 3S 5000mah traxxas lipo's, only to then read all over that 6S in a revo is a pain to live with due to blowing diffs and axles every other run. So, I ended up spending another $120 on 2 9000mah 2S SMC packs and another $200 on a higher current charger (Dynamite 4x100W). I haven't even opened the 3S packs, just to avoid temptation. I got the new charger due to the 9000mah packs taking over 3 hours to charge on the traxxas charger. That got old, fast.

All that said, I'd definitely get an brushless revo again. I'd just buy a different charger/batteries to start with vs burning the $200 on what I did buy... or my wife bought.

You can get a castle link/field card to dial down the punch control of the esc so it's not so harsh off the line. I've dialed mine down to 75% and could probably go down to 50%, even with 4S. I also dialed down the braking using the program card. It's much less "abrupt" now, still does easy rolling wheelies though. I'm guessing you could do the same with your x-maxx's.

Got 4 nitro revos one is the newest 3.3 the other two 2.5 chassis with 2.5s along with t maxx emaxx and my sons have x maxxes, not a huge fan on the x maxx but the e revo seems to highly priced and i watch my kids with the x maxx and ran my e maxx a few times i think i like the sound of notro and the metal chassis, should i get a brushless e revo or build a big block custom nitro revo? Thanks in advanced Jennifer/typeonegative btw my sons are 9 and 11 and are running the x maxxes on two 3s lipos and do not crash just roll them allot but i find myself they are to resposive compared to nitro this is a tough decision for me

I have the new e revo 2.0,,,,the rustler vxl,,,and the 8s x maxx,,,love em all....I also own armma stuff too,,all are great units,,easy to work on . You can’t go wrong with all of them,,as long as you keep up on the maintenance,they’ll all be good to you.....have fun,,,enjoy,,,,tazzzz