should i get a jato 3.3 or vxl rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypeONegative

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have 9 nitro one is a big block one 2.5 7 are the 3.3 revos one brushles revo, emaxx, tmaxx and recent bought two 3.4 losi ten ts, one is brand new and a shelf qween lol the other i run, i like the feel of the truck how it runs but with its center diff i feel like it be funner without it, it handles awesome on the dirt i know the jato nor rustler couldnt compete on a tight track, however i want a truck like this i can run fast in parking lots and throw dirt tires on and drift the corners with, question is which should i go with? and tuning isnt an issue 17 years with that i just dont know which id be happier with, please give your opinion

I can only tell you about the 3.3 Jato. I don't have, nor have I run a rustler.The Jato is fun... STUPID speed. There is a LOT of power for a reasonably lightweight truck... However, as I have found with stadium trucks, at high speed esp on asphalt, the steering is terrible. Even adjusting the suspension it takes a football field to turn it when it's wide open!!! You can 'throw it around' because the power is just a snap of the throttle. I have a stadium truck that is actually over powered that is single speed (where Jato is 2 speed). I am really looking forward to getting that up on its feet and running again... I think the high power with a single speed is going to be more fuun to drive, it just won't have that little bit of extra top end... I can live with that. Between the 2 however, I find myself running the Revo more than the Jato. The Revo just eats up any obstacle you out in its way and keeps asking for more. It's all in what you enjoy and where you run most often that this will come down to I think. I enjoy the Jato and def give it a thumbs up. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about it so fire away! ;)

I can only tell you about the 3.3 Jato. I don't have, nor have I run a rustler.The Jato is fun... STUPID speed. There is a LOT of power for a reasonably lightweight truck... However, as I have found with stadium trucks, at high speed esp on asphalt, the steering is terrible. Even adjusting the suspension it takes a football field to turn it when it's wide open!!! You can 'throw it around' because the power is just a snap of the throttle. I have a stadium truck that is actually over powered that is single speed (where Jato is 2 speed). I am really looking forward to getting that up on its feet and running again... I think the high power with a single speed is going to be more fuun to drive, it just won't have that little bit of extra top end... I can live with that. Between the 2 however, I find myself running the Revo more than the Jato. The Revo just eats up any obstacle you out in its way and keeps asking for more. It's all in what you enjoy and where you run most often that this will come down to I think. I enjoy the Jato and def give it a thumbs up. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about it so fire away! ;)
Thanks very informative! See i run mostly in my yard thats hard packed dirt,like i was saying 10 revos 9 nitro revos,emaxx,tmaxx, erbe revo and two ten ts bye losi, so far I'm loving them all but the ten t is a blast the way it screams across the yard with its 4x4 and center diff, the revos are awesome to and emaxx, i guess i want to know if the jato can pull around the yard like the losi ten t mini truggy or if it will just spin allot, my friend has a rustler brushless it just swings in circles with the bowtie type tires on it, not the yraxxas victories but very similar, if i want wicked traction for a jato what tires do you recomend? Will the jatos extra weight over a rustler help it from loosing so much traction? I just am starting to really like the buggy/mini truggy trucks this losi ten t trucks i got are sick i just want more top end and something else to mess with lol! Basically i want to know if i can get it to stick to the hround like a 4x4 knowing that it wont corner at as good of speeds or hold as much traction, i just want to know if good tires will keep it planted on throttle in dirt and when i let off to swing a corner, i had a jato in 05 when it came with victory tires and 2.5 engine but i was 14 then and can't remember it much now except that i didnt like it for some reason and sold it with less than 8 tanks on it. I'm considering a rustler vxl to but the chassis looks kinda ugly to me lol

The jato does not do well on dirt. It's just a squirrely nightmare. In grass though, with the right tires, it does pretty well. But the grass has to be short since 1/10 stadium trucks sit low. With taller grass, it tends to float and not pick up speed.

If your looking for a fun nitro basher, the jato is what I'd go with. I started my RC journey 17+ years ago, my first RC was a xxx-nt. It felt more planted the the jato. Guessing the lack of low end torque (single speed) is what helped with that. The rustler is a proven basher truck, so if you want to go electric, it's not a bad rig to get. Just depends on what you want.

I got tired of dealing with the 2.5. The one on my jato was new and it was still fussy to run. I converted my jato to brushless, which has renewed my interest in it.

Traction is Def gonna be an issue with the Jato imo. I can't remember the name but they are a square spike tire that seem to do the best so far in dirt for me...

The jato does not do well on dirt. It's just a squirrely nightmare. In grass though, with the right tires, it does pretty well. But the grass has to be short since 1/10 stadium trucks sit low. With taller grass, it tends to float and not pick up speed.

If your looking for a fun nitro basher, the jato is what I'd go with.

The rustler is a proven basher truck, so if you want to go electric, it's not a bad rig to get. Just depends on what you want.
I agree with Olds about the Jato's handling and it not being a bad rig.

The Nitro Rustler is another option for a nitro basher. It's cheaper, (IMO) more durable out of the box, a few of the never ending upgrades for the electric Rustler will fit, plus it's extremely easy to work on. I think the 2.5 is perfect in it and the 3.3 turns it into a wheelie monster. I highly suggest Badlands for running Stadium Trucks in grass.

Back