Should I change the piston ring on my motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvageXl

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys,
I've been reading up a lot lately on all sorts of different forums about the engine in my dads old hpi baja that I've recently gotten into. A lot of forums say they regularly relpace there piston rings every 8 hours of run time or thereabouts and its kinda gotten me paranoid LOL. When my dad used to drive it he absolutely drove the nuts off of it. I'm talking emptying the tank at full throttle, using old fuel (it did sit for a year or so) and he wouldve done easily more than 8 hours drive time. As far as i know he has done absolutely no engine maintenance on it, and it is the stock cy 26cc engine. I replaced the pull start a couple of months ago and whenever i give it a tug I have to gold the car down in order for it to not come off the ground which I think means it has good compression. It does also start pretty easily even on ancient fuel which I've heard is also not good for it. So what do you experienced guys think? Should I replace the piston ring or is any other engine maintenance necessary? any help would be great.

Hi guys,
I've been reading up a lot lately on all sorts of different forums about the engine in my dads old hpi baja that I've recently gotten into. A lot of forums say they regularly relpace there piston rings every 8 hours of run time or thereabouts and its kinda gotten me paranoid LOL. When my dad used to drive it he absolutely drove the nuts off of it. I'm talking emptying the tank at full throttle, using old fuel (it did sit for a year or so) and he wouldve done easily more than 8 hours drive time. As far as i know he has done absolutely no engine maintenance on it, and it is the stock cy 26cc engine. I replaced the pull start a couple of months ago and whenever i give it a tug I have to gold the car down in order for it to not come off the ground which I think means it has good compression. It does also start pretty easily even on ancient fuel which I've heard is also not good for it. So what do you experienced guys think? Should I replace the piston ring or is any other engine maintenance necessary? any help would be great.
Welcome bud. Sounds to me like you have nothing to do but drive the nuts off of it again 😉🤣.. if you pull the cord and it hops off ground sound like good compression to me. I've never heard of changing any engine components after 8hrs of run time. Shoot you could be changing it every weekend.. thats crazy. When the engine doesn't have any compression that's when you want to start changing parts. I would just run some good clean fuel in it and have fun 👍👍

Welcome bud. Sounds to me like you have nothing to do but drive the nuts off of it again 😉🤣.. if you pull the cord and it hops off ground sound like good compression to me. I've never heard of changing any engine components after 8hrs of run time. Shoot you could be changing it every weekend.. thats crazy. When the engine doesn't have any compression that's when you want to start changing parts. I would just run some good clean fuel in it and have fun 👍👍
Sweet thanks a bunch for clearing that up! My dad said to just drive it as well so I'm glad an experienced individual feels the same, puts me at ease a lot especially when I'm paying for everything😂

Sweet thanks a bunch for clearing that up! My dad said to just drive it as well so I'm glad an experienced individual feels the same, puts me at ease a lot especially when I'm paying for everything😂
No worries bud. Sorry for the late reply busy with work lately. With nitros it's all about the tuning and maintenance.

Back