should i buy it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treed6

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i have a revo and a savage 25 limited. i really like the savage alot. the revo is fun but most of the time i have to work on it. i never have to work on my savage. my question is i want a savage xl and dont know if i would be happy with it. i am almost positive i would be but my revo has speed that my savage 25 doesn't and i want the xl to have that. if anybody has any input saying that the xl is fast or just has lots of low end power let me know. thanks.

The Revo and the Savage are completely different trucks. The Revo will always be faster being that it is much lighter and smaller, where as the Savage is a big heavy monster truck. For fun I installed a OS Vspec into my Savage with a 3 speed to see what kind of speed I could get out of it and it was pretty fast, but too heavy for the high speed buggy engine. My Savage started out as a regular Savage X ss kit, but I added the Savage XL TVP's, 3 speed transmission and a OS .30 engine. I also have a Traxxas Slayer which is pretty much the same as a Revo and it is quite a bit faster that my Savage. My advise is if you want a fast race style truck stick with the Revo because to get that type of performance out of the Savage you will have to do a ton of mods to it. If you want a backyard basher that has loads of torque and takes a ton of abuse get the Savage. Thats what I do with my Savage, and if I want to go fast I get out my fully modded Losi 8ight-T or the Rossi powered Inferno. If you like your Savage 25 you will like the XL even more, but you will really need to get a strong steering servo as it is a BIG truck and doesn't like to turn very well. :D

A good .28 in a Savage geared 16/47 will smoke a Revo. A modded LRP .28 or modded Picco .28 will outrun any small block Revo. Most people make the mistake of overgearing the Savage.
Just curious Supradude, how did you start a bump start engine in a Savage?

personaly i have never driven a savage but i have heard so many people talk about them being so good that if you want a real good basher that you don't want to have to fix all the time the xl would be great but its not really sooted for the track.

A few shock modifications, sway bars, lpr tires/wheels and I'll give you a run for your money on a race track with any model Savage! This could be said of any monster truck though. All in the setup.

Just curious Supradude, how did you start a bump start engine in a Savage?

I used my handheld airplane style starter with a small worn out ring on it. I was able to get enough contact with the flywheel through the hole on the right side of the chassis to get it started, but I had to dremel the hole a little taller to get enough access. It was a complete pain in the a$$ as I had to preheat the engine with a heat gun and remove the right rear wheel to start it but it worked. It wasn't really worth the time but I wanted to see what kind of performance I could get from it. I think part of my problem was I was using some big heavy 40 series Moabs and beadlock wheels. Had I still had the lightweight stockers I think it would have been quite a bit faster, plus I didn't have the proper gearing to really get the motor in it's sweet spot.

Last edited:
I'll buy that, i was gonna call B.S. on the V-spec in a Savage! LOL Sorry I doubted you.
A set of race tires and the proper gearing and that engine would be insane in a Savage.
One better, the .28VZ, I'd love to have that in a monster truck.

I'll buy that, i was gonna call B.S. on the V-spec in a Savage! LOL Sorry I doubted you.
A set of race tires and the proper gearing and that engine would be insane in a Savage.
One better, the .28VZ, I'd love to have that in a monster truck.

Yea I had posted some info on how I did it on another forum a few months back and one person called me out to be a complete liar and punk kid. I guess I don't see what a 32 year old guy that has been building and running RC cars since 1984 would get out of not being honest about what kind of engine I had in my Savage for a while, but maybe some people would. I was going to get the .28VZ for my 8ight-T, but ended up getting a Sirio .30 instead. Now I'm thinking of getting the OS for my older Inferno that I use as a park/street basher. I really want to try it in something...Maybe a b/b conversion for the Slayer....

It's nasty, you'll love it. it gets surprisingly good runtime too. I've seen them go 8 minutes on a 150cc tank. I'd love to have one for my truggy but it would probably hurt my lap times more than anything....well it'll hurt the wallet too.

i have one and itl pop a wheely just about every launch if its tuned good + the three speed transmission helps alot for high speeds

when tuned the savage xl could beat all stock monster trucks and truggies + most buggies and cars in a drag race in my opinion

i have one and itl pop a wheely just about every launch if its tuned good + the three speed transmission helps alot for high speeds

when tuned the savage xl could beat all stock monster trucks and truggies + most buggies and cars in a drag race in my opinion

Both my truggy and buggy will KILL a stock Savage in a drag race. I'm sure there are fast Savages out there, but no stocker will beat a race built 1/8th scale chassis. Stock for stock maybe some because of the 3 speed...