Should I buy a new engine???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A4wheelin

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I can't turn my flywheel by hand at all. It's totally siezed up apparently. I'm assuming I'm gonna need a new engine. I found a 2.5 on ebay for $33, should I go that route or what? Should I hold out and get a 3.3?

3.3 runiin bout 130 on there i seen more 2.5 for alot less.this gets expensive dosent it?

3.3 runiin bout 130 on there i seen more 2.5 for alot less.this gets expensive dosent it?

Hell yeah it get's expensive and I'm just starting. I also have a motorcycle that I'm constantly trying (operative word) to buy parts and poop for. I saw a 3.3 on ebay for $46!!! Ends tomorrow, I'm watching it. The local Hobby People has 3.3's for $115 if all else fails.

i just spent another 20 for a fuel tank and rear bulkhead.thats the 2nd fuel tank i need to get a guard or make 1.i did get a set of ue towers for 20 on the bay

When I used WD-40 as after run oil, I would be unable to turn my motor over by hand. Are you trying to turn it over with the glow plug out? I'd take a motor apart first and verify that it's seized before I bought a new one or exchanged it. How many gallons have gone through it?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think most of these engines break something or lose compression versus seizing when they get worn out.

I agree with MrClean. Rarely do we hear of engines being bad because they've seized up. Definitly open that baby up and check it out before you purchase anything. If it truly is seized up I have a very nice lightly used 3.3 for sale. But I would definitly look into your engine first.

Ok thanks for the advice guys! I've never tried taking the motor apart before. It is self explanatory or will I need some sort of instruction?

I'd say before taking it apart, just remove the glow plug. It may be kind of hydro locked and removing the glow plug will relieve the pressure and should allow you to turn it over easier. If that doesn't work then yeah you'll have to take it apart. It's not too complicated. Remove the cooling head guard (the plastic ring) that will give you access to the 4 bolts to remove the cooling head. That should give you an excellent view of the top of the piston. You might also need to remove EZ-Start and the exhaust. You can get an exploded view of the engine at Traxxas.com. They can really help you see how everything goes together.

Let us know what you find.

If you do need another motor, I'd definitely consider what Lessen is selling. There are a lot of people here who can attest that he's a good guy that takes care of his stuff.

Last edited:
I'd say before taking it apart, just remove the glow plug. It may be kind of hydro locked and removing the glow plug will relieve the pressure and should allow you to turn it over easier. If that doesn't work then yeah you'll have to take it apart. It's not too complicated. Remove the cooling head guard (the plastic ring) that will give you access to the 4 bolts to remove the cooling head. That should give you an excellent view of the top of the piston. You might also need to remove EZ-Start and the exhaust. You can get an exploded view of the engine at Traxxas.com. They can really help you see how everything goes together.

Let us know what you find.

If you do need another motor, I'd definitely consider what Lessen is selling. There are a lot of people here who can attest that he's a good guy that takes care of his stuff.

Yeah I already removed the glow plug and tried the clearing a flooded engine technique. But that didn't do anything. I'll check out that diaghram on the Traxxas website. Thanks alot!

You might try removeing the motor from the truck if you haven't already and with the glow plug out hold the motor with one hand and take a pair of chanel lock pliers and try turning the fly wheel in both directions to see if you can get it to rotate if I am not mistaken the motor is supposed to turn clock wise but I may be wrong , just a suggestion...

uuuug will i have to fix every engine!!

No posts here in a while ... but every time that I have blown an engine it was the connecting rod that broke. And yes I've blown quite a few when I started.

First set up a clean area with clean towls on hand.

Next remove the engine (this might take a while your first time but you'll get it in like 5 min next time)

Wipe off any dirt as best possible.

Remove pullstart or EZ start

Revove backplate

If the connecting rod is broken it should be crystal clear at this point.

If not broken proceed to removing the head

Always pay attention to how stuff goes when removing so you can put it back the same.... I know it's obvious :\