Shock Upgrade?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra198

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I recently got a t-maxx. I've been having a blast with it. Yesterday i was jumping and had a little accident. I landed weird and snapped the top part off of one of my shocks (the part where the shock screws into the tower). I am now thinking of upgrading to better aluminum shocks. I was kinda looking at the traxxas big bores and the losi dynamite pro's. Are the tops of both these shocks also aluminum so i dont have the same problem? If so, what shock would you recommend, or can/ should i just replace the top of my shock? I like to jump ect w. my maxx so i was thinking of the upgrade. The Bog Bores are cheaper but i have heard many people who prefer the losi dynamites. Thanks for your help.

All aluminum shocks are a must for any jumping/bashing MT. You have just found the number one weakness on the T-Maxx. As for what brand of shocks, how big is your wallet?

That is pretty much the only deciding factor. There are many great quality aluminum shocks out there. I run a set of AE aluminum shocks on my T-Maxx, a set of Mugen-Seiki buggy shocks on my Savage, I have heard great things about the Big Bores, Dynamite, and a few others.

What is your price range?

if u got the money get the Integy MSR4 piggybacks. i had them and man they are the best shocks that i have ever had on my truck. they work really good for jumping because of the piggyback.

bryan

I run the Losi/Dynamite on one of my Ts and AE on the other one. I like the Losi/Dynamite better. They are great shocks and have no top cap at all, they are bottom loading. Both the Losi and AE will require you to build them but it is really quite simple. I would highly recommend the Losi/Dynamites.

NCNitro, that is good to hear about the losi dynamites. That is the shock i was leaning towards.

As for price range: Since i just bought the t maxx just last week, i dont want to fork out a ton of $$$. Maybe like in the 70's range.

Well 70s might just be a little too little. I got mine for $79, but the stock springs that come with both the AE and Dynamite suck. I also purchased the Trinity blue springs when I bought my shocks, the springs were $15 for the set. One more thing, the stock lower retainers fit both the Trinity and stock springs much better than the ones that come with the shocks.

I found the big bores for 50 and the losi dynamites for like 75. The big bores are quite a bit cheeper so i might go with them since everyone seems to have had a good experience w/ them.

Regardless of which set you go for, I recommend grabbing a set of Trinity Blue or Black springs. Most of these aluminum shock sets (especially the Big Bores) have crappy springs that come with them.

Traxxas Big Bores with some Dual rate springs.... I forget who makes em....
RC Raven maybe... I also run with 80w in 2 of the front & rear shocks...
Great combo, & haven't blown a cap yet....

I run the Dynomite/ Losi shocks in Maxx using 50 wt oil, Raven dual rate springs on the outsite corners, and the stockers on the inside(the springs that came with the shocks). I have had nothing but good luck with this set-up. Never a bent shaft or a broken anything. They've held up well and seen some wicked air. I used the Big Bores on a Nitro Rustler and had good resultes. Both are good choices, but I like the Dynomites better..

Well, just to let you guys know, i just ordered the big bores. I can't wait to get them! I didnt buy springs yet, but ill try the shocks out first and then maybe get some of those dual rate springs. Anyways, just wanted to keep you posted. Thanks again with all the help!!

I use the Trinity blue springs with the big bores. No problems as of yet.

Back