Shock Rebound Problem - Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay, this is a stupid question, but after assembling the shocks on my new EB-4 kit and installing the wheels - when i press down on the chassis, it just stays there, and doest rebound back to its original position. even with preload clips installed, it doesn't rebound like it should. Could this be due to not enough oil in the shocks? i thought i filled them up properly but maybe not. ideas?

Did the pistons (on the shock shaft) have any holes in them?

Originally posted by error401
Did the pistons (on the shock shaft) have any holes in them?

If they didn't have holes the shocks would be completely stiff, or no?

Well NA, only think I could think of is there's no enough holes in the pison

I would say air or not enough oil. I did mine last week on my AD xxxnt it helps to warm up the silicone in the microwave. Then fill it to the top before you put it together then work the shaft to the bottom to push out extra oil & air. Then top it off before you screw it tight and rebound all day long.

the pistons have a single hole in them. am i thinking opposite? my thinking was that there wasn't enough oil in them, and they didnt have the power to hold the car up. are u saying that maybe the oil that is in there isnt getting back to the bottom of the shock? when they are off the car, the compress and rebound just fine.

Did you build them correctly? When I do my shocks, I fill them up, work the bubbles out and screw the cap on but not all the way. Some of the oil seeps out. I then slowly push the piston up until it stops to get the excess oil out, and then screw the cap down tight. Slap the springs and preload clips on it and you're ready to go.

i know i built them right, I've built alot of shocks. just not sure why they arent supporting the weight of the buggy. i dont even have the mill installed yet. the springs included in the kit did seem a bit soft, but u would think that they wouldnt be so soft they could support the weight of the car?

Ok, so the arms go up and down pretty much ok without the shocks, and the shocks compress and extends ok without being on the car, right? When you have the shocks on the car and you compress them, is it hard or normal feeling? will they extend if you lift the car off the table?

I'm just trying to get a clear pic in my head, NA. I know my savage doesn't go all the way back up if it's just sitting still, but that's a Savage.

with everything installed on the car, error - i can push the tires up and down, and they all work just fine....until i put it on the ground. Then if i just let it sit there, the shocks will support the weight of the buggy. but if i push down on it, it just sits there with the chassis on the ground, and doesn't go anywhere.

What happens when you drive it? My Lightning kind of squats a bit when it's not moving, but it lifts up when it is.

i dunno yet, error, I'm still building it. lol.

my storm pro doesn't have this problem though, which is why I'm confused

What weight oil did you add? I could be the oil is so heavy it has a har time coming through the hole on the piston. Are you using the stock springs that came with the shocks and their recomended oil?

Originally posted by El Pirata
What weight oil did you add? I could be the oil is so heavy it has a har time coming through the hole on the piston.

This is what i think the problem is. I am using the stock springs, but i am using much heavier oil than recommended. Recommended oil was 30wt, i am using 55wt. I got home late last night, and didnt have much time to work on it, but tonight i am going to drain all the oil out of the shocks and see what happens when they are empty. If it works with them empty, then i will know thats the problem, and fix it accordingly. and yes, i am using the springs that came with the kit.

I had the same prob. with my HB pro. I was using 50wt. oil last week I went down to 40wt and now all is good. Let us know if you get it to work or not.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Put the springs on them! :whack:

Shush, dumbass! lol

jk

Enough, did you try it without oil? If that was the problem your could use your buddy dremel and make the holes in the pistons slightly larger.

damn el - a lil anxious? lol. I am still at work, i will try it tonight and give a report back tomorrow. gonna have lots of pics of the building process tomorrow too.

I have some 40wt oil to use, it that was indeed the problem

Back