Shock Oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrKnow

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I want less bounce in my shocks. Would I use a heavier shock oil? The higher the oil weight the less bounce?

You got it. You might want to pick up a couple different weights to play with.

So if I'm blasting across the yard, and go through a series of dips, and the truck flips over forward, I need heavier oil to help control bounce?

A heavier oil will cause the shocks to rebound slower. This will help with the bouncing.

It would help. Running your shocks one position lower in the back than in the front should help too.

I usually run 50 wt in back, 40 in front. I've got all my pushrods in the lowest setting and the springs in the rear are cranked up about 1/4 inch to set the ride height. I've had good luck using the middle a-arm holes too, but I have cvd's with a true-track so my dogbones can pop out if it's set higher. Another thing that people sometimes overlook is 'sag'. Set the truck down gently and roll it a little without pushing down or pulling up on it. It should sag a little under it's own weight.

I run about 30 or 35 in my front and 25 or 30 in the rear on my maxx...I also lightened the spring load adn took out any preload clips.....softer suspension will let you stay stuck to the ground easier but you will bottom out on big jumps more....