Shock Oil Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine runs 30 weight in his and it does really well over rough terrain and jumps. If you go with any thing thicker than 30 you may get too much bounce over rough terrain.

Can you use regular motor oil like 10 w 30 ,10 w 40 or straight 50 weight or straight 30 weight ,deter jet or non detergent ?

NO! You have to use rc shock oil it has silicone in it and is totally different. It is more of a gel.

shock oil

NO! You have to use rc shock oil it has silicone in it and is totally different. It is more of a gel.

Then can't I use synthetic oil,it has silicone in it.I'm not saying your wrong but how can you prove to me that there is a difference inc rc oil@ $5 for 8 shocks compared to a hole qt for $5 !

I'm sure you prob can if that's what you want to do. Me personally my shocks on my revo are $50.00 a set and it's not worth $8 bucks to mess them up. I really can't argue with you because I don't know the exact difference but I wouldn't take the chance if it was me. I guess I shouldn't of put "NO" I should have put I don't recommend it and I'm sorry for wording it wrong. ;)

Yea seriously if your worried about what kind and how often.... I would use the right stuff.

I use 10/40 (automotive oil) in my tmaxx but its just a basher with mismatched springs ect.

I use the right stuff in my other trucks.

thanks for all your info I guess I was looking for someone that was that an oil experts and maybe would be able to tell me if there is a big difference but I appreciate all your time ,I'll probly go ahead and try it in my cheap plastic shocks, when I upgrade to the aluminum ones I'll use the real stuff ; thank you again ,u guys r awsome !

Motor oil is rated as a particular weight such as 30wt. A mulct-viscosity is basically a single weight oil with additives that thicken it as the engines heats up. The silicon oil used for shocks is much thicker and is usually listed as 30k wt which is much thicker.