Shims in nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Register Log in

Demonimp

RC Newbie
Hi guys I have a large box of bits and i found a 4.6 hpi savage engine so thought i would take it apart to investigate it so I tested compression and it was very weak so took the head off and there was 8 shims so I'm thinking king if I reduce the amount by 50% it should in crease as there is no excessive play in the piston or sleeve so what do you think ?

cbaker65

Hardcore RCNT User
Hi guys I have a large box of bits and i found a 4.6 hpi savage engine so thought i would take it apart to investigate it so I tested compression and it was very weak so took the head off and there was 8 shims so I'm thinking king if I reduce the amount by 50% it should in crease as there is no excessive play in the piston or sleeve so what do you think ?
The only thing you can do is just try it!
Some people take shims or put shims for the % nitro fuel they use ,8 shims seems to be a lot though that was in it!

The only thing you can do is just try it!
Some people take shims or put shims for the % nitro fuel they use ,8 shims seems to be a lot though that was in it!
Oh ,if the compression is weak ,but the pist/sleeve still looks good ,you can send it in an have it re-pinched!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Nitro RC 1
Y Traxxas T-Maxx 2
N HPI Savage 0
M Traxxas Revo 2