"Sh*t! It's on fire!" — Me, an hour ago.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I walk to and drive my rc often in a place I live really close to. They always have a digger with a bucket parked next to the garage, so I figured I'd try a crazy jump inside of it- probably not a good idea in and of itself. Anyway, in goes the vorteks and it flips onto its back, laying inside the metal scoop. The fans turn off and it starts making a sparking noise which sounds exactly like an electrical fire. I couldn't even tell the difference if you paired this sound against a real electrical fire! Anyway, I built up the courage and flipped it and took it out of the metal scoop (an electric fire is not going to stop me from saving that thing!) and the fans turned back on and everything seemed to be all set. I turned it off and on again, unplugged the battery etc but everything seemed good and was functional- thankfully! Don't think horizon hobby would replace an RC that had gone up in flames!
While this is just a funny story, I do wonder if any of you know why that happened...

Glitch

Edit: this makes it seem like the rc caught on fire, disclaimer it did not everything is all set :)

I just fried an ESC, went up in a huge plume of smoke and reversed by it self into a rock. But the rock saved it from the pond.

Fried ESC smells good.
I mean it.

I like the smell of burned Electronics. Also Gasoline. I dont know why.

Offcourse it is not fun. It is Dangerous and Expensive.
Very sad when this happen.

Anyways i like that smell

Also Bacon fried.
I dont use fan when i make Bacon in my Kitchen. Because i Love the smell.

Is there any Disco Smoke Machine essences with Bacon ? Burned Electronics, or Gasoline smell.?
Something That is not dangerous.
Let me know Please. I like to have some.

I will buy disco fog machine and use these scents if they are awaible ?

Edit: this makes it seem like the rc caught on fire, disclaimer it did not everything is all set :)
All is set....on fire 🤣 jk
Sounds like the fans may have been slapping something or something was making contact that shouldnt have that was in motion . 5 itty bitty fan blades hitting plastic is going to make pooping like a Fire look for points of contact

it sounds like you had a short to power. check the battery leads very carefully. check the connector to the ESC. it shouldn't be on the esc to motor wires as you were not on the throttle when it happened. unless the hit knocked something loose inside the ESC allowing an internal short. there should be welding/burn marks if this is the case. that much drama, I'd be looking real close to the battery. pull it out inspect the case

it sounds like you had a short to power. check the battery leads very carefully. check the connector to the ESC. it shouldn't be on the esc to motor wires as you were not on the throttle when it happened. unless the hit knocked something loose inside the ESC allowing an internal short. there should be welding/burn marks if this is the case. that much drama, I'd be looking real close to the battery. pull it out inspect the case
Since you mentioned it ...it could be possible when it slapped on the roof the battery wires or something carrying current at that time esc/fan/battery could of pinched in the chassis somewhere temporarily

HOLD THE PHONE! 🤣🤣🤣 @rccar4life you said it flipped in the bucket of the tractor? If you can't find problems.. look in the bucket for pea gravel if you have a shell body that body rocking on the stones or sliding WILL sound like electrical crackle

Since you mentioned it ...it could be possible when it slapped on the roof the battery wires or something carrying current at that time esc/fan/battery could of pinched in the chassis somewhere temporarily

That’s basically what I’m thinking, but he needs to find where that happened because it shouldn’t. If it cut through a wire insulator somewhere so it could make a short, he needs to find it.

I reread my original comment and I should have said short to ground, but for the purposes of this discussion it makes no difference in a DC 2 wire system. The troubleshooting and diagnosis will be the same, albeit with a little more focus on the positive conductors (red).

Check the motor to esc bullet connectors. I had two of those short. They had a tiny bit of metal exposed, the universe lined up and the truck stalled. I punched it and I hear my esc doing weird beeps and the sound of distressed electronics, then the smoke started poueing out. The tiny exposjre hit a paperclip and got it cherry red.

@Oggydoggy'n'doggydaddy it was my first Mamba. Shes been ejected and I even disassembled it from viabration through driving. Still ticking. My caps I think need replaced as I'm getting brown outs. My copperhead replaced it, but its still ready.

Check the motor to esc bullet connectors. I had two of those short. They had a tiny bit of metal exposed, the universe lined up and the truck stalled. I punched it and I hear my esc doing weird beeps and the sound of distressed electronics, then the smoke started poueing out. The tiny exposjre hit a paperclip and got it cherry red.
Will do, thanks!

All is set....on fire 🤣 jk
Sounds like the fans may have been slapping something or something was making contact that shouldnt have that was in motion . 5 itty bitty fan blades hitting plastic is going to make pooping like a Fire look for points of contact
Pooping 💩?

Back