Setting up the BEC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickenjoey

Official RCNT Cyber-Bully
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok I am putting a CC BEC on my crawler for the simple fact the receivers just don't supply the juice they need for big servos. So I have two options of how to do this the standard way below or an alternate version I have seen done. Any ideas on which is better. In theory the alt method will supply WAY more current to the servo than the standard way. What are you guys running?

STANDARD SET-UP
rc_rock_crawler_ccbec_wiring-large.jpg

ALTERNATE METHOD SET-UP
49c2df22.jpg

Wow I figured some of the crawler guys would be all over this one. I guess I will just have to do some experimenting.

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I would just run the BEC and not the one on the ESC. The BEC should have more than enough juice to get the job done.

Sorry Joey, I never used one on my Crawler. With just one servo, and no dig, I haven't needed one. Sorry I can't help ya bud.

I run my cc the standard way & she does really well, never seen the alt. way

I have never used the Alternate method you show.

I either use the standard method or I power the servo direct from the bec and let the ESC power the receiver.

The reason for this is that the Futaba FASST receivers I use are only rated at 6V. High power servos can to go 7.2v so if I want to get the most out of my high power servo, I can't use the standard method since I could smoke my receiver.

On my Losi crawler I am able to use the standard method since it uses my DX3R and the Spektrum receiver it has can take 9.6v.

On my brushless truggy, buggy and ERevo I use the standard method mainly because I don't want the ESC to generate excess heat through it's internal BEC.

Haven't decided what I am going to do on my XR10 when I get around to working on it again.

Never saw the thread Joey, sorry. I run mine directly to the servo. What servo are you using? I'm running mine at 7.4 and with the regular method I was having problems with not getting enough power to it so thats why I went straight to it.

I am running a Hitec 7955TG servo. I know it is rated at 6 volts but it it the draw on the receiver I am thinking about. I have never been impressed with the internal bec on the FASST receivers. So running the bec direct to the servo and the ESC powering the receiver and a dig servo if I ever go that route would be the best i can come up with. I was going to be using a modified Revo steering splitter to do it....I guess the best I can do is try it I guess. How are you guys doing the direct to servo from the BEC?

After looking at the alternate setup pic you posted a little closer, that is how you power the steering servo direct from the BEC.

Yeap run it like the second one, thats the way I have to run mine to keep it from powering out.

That is what I figured...that looked like the most logical way of doing it to me. I just think the FASST BEC is too weak for any real heavy servos. So like Tim Taylor says....It needed more power....so I re-wired it!

Back