Setting/Adjusting Camber

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITRO FEVER

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My son just installed new a -arms and now we need to set camber what is the process to get it right is there a certain number of turns out/in on the screw that goes into the a arm then is there a setting with the slug that screws into the carrier on top of the screw, first time messing with this part of truck also what shoud the degrees be on the front and rear thanks

As far as I can tell, thier is not set number of turns for the pivot ball(the piece that screws into the a arm. To set camber I usually just use a bubble level and my eye to at least ensure the wheels are parallel when viewed from the front. And the pivot ball cap(the castlellated slug that holds the pivot ball in the a arm) should be tightened as tight as possible WITHOUT restricting smooth movement of the pivot ball or a arms as they move up/down. As far as the degrees go it will vary upon driving style and vehicle response desired. The tmaxx owners manual states this about caster camber:

"The T-Maxx 3.3 offers the ability to adjust the caster angle of the front suspension. Caster adjustment may be used to influence the understeer/ oversteer handling characteristics of the T-Maxx 3.3. Increasing the caster angle will increase the tendency of the truck to oversteer (less traction on the rear tires, more traction on the front tires), while decreasing the caster angle will cause the truck to have a tendency to understeer (push in the turns). This effect becomes more pronounced at higher steering angles and higher spring rates. Caster is adjusted by repositioning the shims on the pivot point of the upper suspension arms."

"The wheels can be set to have either positive or
negative camber (see illustration below). The camber
angle changes as the wheel moves up and down
through its range of travel. Static camber is the
camber angle at the wheel when the vehicle is set at
its normal, stationary ride height.
The suspension pivot balls located in the axle
carriers adjust the static camber. The pivot balls
are protected by blue dust plugs. To adjust your static camber, insert the
supplied 2.5mm hex wrench through the slit in the dust plug and engage
the end of the pivot ball (compressing the suspension until the arms are
parallel to the ground will allow for easier hex wrench engagement). The
upper pivot ball is normally screwed all the way in. Negative camber is
achieved by screwing the pivot ball of the lower control arm out. Note:
When camber is changed, the toe angle of the wheel has to be reset.
Static Camber Base
Factory Settings
Front: 1-degree negative
camber each side
Rear: 1-degree negative
camber each side"

It's a matter of trial and error to find the right alignment for you and/or your son.
Some companies make a camber/caster gauge for RC but it is diffiucult to find one for monster trucks, most are for on road RC's.

From the manual::

From the factory, the pivot balls are
completely tightened into the suspension
arms, which give each of the wheels –1˚ of
camber. Unscrewing the bottom camber
pivot ball with a 2.5mm hex wrench will
increase the wheel’s negative camber. You should not adjust the top
pivot ball; unscrewing it will increase positive camber and will also
change the wheel’s toe-in.

i found also that there is a very small tollerance to tight and to tight and binding up the suspension.

i found also that there is a very small tollerance to tight and to tight and binding up the suspension.

Yup it does not take much to get binding in the pivot ball's.

The easiest way to adjust them is to put the pivot balls into the carriers and then adjust the pivot ball caps so that it just remove's excess slop and then screw the pivot balls into the arms.