Server power supplies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy48065

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
FedEx just dropped off a power supply I ordered.
I wasn't prepared for how small this 12V 38A (460W} supply is. Are the 750W supplies also this compact?

What contacts do I jump to turn this on?

EDIT:
I found the answer to my on/off question by zooming in on a photo.

Attachments

• 20220120_112856.jpg
    20220120_112856.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
do a google search that might help with model #..

Most of the newer server power supplies are relatively small to save real estate inside the case for more important components such as hard drives.

Depends on the brand/model. The ones I have require a resistor. Shorting the contacts didn't keep them on.
2020-1112-HPPowerSupplies.jpg

These two are the same model and both worked with a 220ohm resistor:
2020-1117-24vPSU-HP-DPS-1200FB-1A.jpg

I took one of those apart and ground isolated it to wire in series with the other so I have a 75A/24V PSU.

Considering the power they put out, they are all pretty small. I run 2x500W/20A chargers off them. I have another 15A/200W charger, but I don't use it much.
2020-1130-24vPSU-HP-DPS-1200FB-1A-PluggedIn.jpg

Dayum... You're not messing around. Nice rig you got there.

I soldered a switch across those contacts & it's working. I didn't even try a resistor.

Dayum... You're not messing around. Nice rig you got there.

I soldered a switch across those contacts & it's working. I didn't even try a resistor.
I read some work with that, but mine did not. I tried bridging those contacts first and it would power up for about 10 seconds, then go into a standby mode.

I started running electric with a traxxas dual ID charger... that was miserable. The dynamite is what I bought after that and it got me by for a few years. I drive about an hour to my bash site, so I charge up enough packs to run each of the 2 trucks I take 3 times at least. I have 1 3S, 1 4S and 3 6S trucks now.

When I first started, I just had an e-revo and I had to cycle my packs twice on the traxxas charger to fill them as it would time out (2 x SMC 9000mah 2S).

Now I throw 4x6S 5000mah on one of the GT500's, a couple 4S x 5000mah on the other and load up the dynamite with 3S packs. Get everything charged up in under an hour so I don't have to get up so early to meet the guys at the bash site at 9am. lol!