Seeking opinions for T-Rex 60 axles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've been thinking about getting an Axial SCX10 for a while now, however in the last few days I've been looking on RC4WD and noticed the T-Rex 60 axles that look just amazing and so much like a scale axle. I also like the fact you can change the diff cover to a number of other styles to your liking.

So my thinking is to go with an X-Trail chassis from TCS, an axial tranny and the T-Rex 60 axles but before I do I wanted to know if anyone has heard or have any experience with the T-Rex 60's and if they are worth spending the $100 for both axles?

thats all up to you man, the extra details of them axles that make them more scale than the axials are cool but to me not worth the extra money. the scx, although i was against it at first since it makes building a scaler too easy imo, is the way to go, its a very nice kit, the chassis is alot better than the xtrail, i still like the xtrail alot but the scx is alot nicer...

I'm worried the T-Rex 60 is all looks and no performance. While I'm not going to be pushing a Castle 7700 brushless motor though my scaler I want to know that if I drop in a 35T motor or so that the axles aren't going to blow up.

Any reasons why you think the scx chassis is any better then the x-trail? I've looked at also the possibility of buying the scx chassis from TCS.

just for the scale factor woodie, the scx is better looking and more scale imo. its not just a flat pice like the x trail, its a nicely built "c" instead. also, I'm not sure how easy the parts are to get/find for those axles but the axials are every where you look if you ever have a problem and break a gear or shaft. plus you dont really see the axles much.

Last edited:
A lot of guys at scale4x4 use the trex 60 axles, and they all seem to like them, and they do look great. As far as getting parts for them you will have to go directly to RC4WD or RPP, but Axial parts are available everywhere. The Axial axles look real good under a truck too, and they are less expensive.

As far as the chassis, the xtrail is definitely a very nice chassis for the price, but the scx10 chassis is a much more realistic looking scale chassis. It uses two c channel rails rather than flat stock, and the shock hoops are more realistic looking as well. The scx1o chassis is just far more scale appearance wise than the x-trail.

Are you planning a four link truck or leaf spring?

Are you planning a four link truck or leaf spring?

I agree with both of you in regards to the SCX10 chassis - I love the c channel as it does look much more realistic. The reason I was leaning more towards the x-trail was because I seen they do offer a leaf spring option, something that I haven't been able to find from Axial yet - while I'm not 100% which way I'm going to go yet, I do really like the leaf spring look.

TCS just recently came out with that leaf spring set up, it does look really nice though. What kind of body are you looking at? Hard body or lexan?

It would be fairly easy to put leafs on the SCX chassis but if you want it to look good and perform 4 links are the way to go! I loved the looks of my Tundra with leafs but even with leaf tuning the performance was disappointing.

I have never seen the T-Rex 60 axles but like Joe I have read that people are happy with them.

i agree, the leaf springs are a cool look especially on the right rig but that lack the performance, kinda like driving without any suspension.

TCS just recently came out with that leaf spring set up, it does look really nice though. What kind of body are you looking at? Hard body or lexan?

I'm looking to make a GMC/Chevy scaler with the newer body styles - similar to what I drive now. The closest I've found is a lexan chevy ext cab body from proline.

It would be fairly easy to put leafs on the SCX chassis but if you want it to look good and perform 4 links are the way to go! I loved the looks of my Tundra with leafs but even with leaf tuning the performance was disappointing.

I have never seen the T-Rex 60 axles but like Joe I have read that people are happy with them.

By the sounds of it I might just go SCX10 route with the trex 60 axles. As long as their not just a show piece but can also function pretty well then that might be the route I go.

you getting the plastic ones or the aluminum ones?

a hundred bux an axle seems excessive for just a cosmetic factor. Are you going for ultra-realism or just a semi scale build? I see alot of guys who buy top end scale parts but then go with a non scale suspension or something else. I think it should be an all or nothing kind of thing.

if i was going to build a scaler, i would be looking at this.
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=875

i am not a huge fan of rc4wd but some of their stuff is decent.

That said, i prefer performance over looks. I can't see the point in building an amazing scaler just to end up with lame performance. A tube buggy or jeep is my type of scaler. Something very functional and yet still semi-scale.

Back