Searching for driveshaft and ball connector for old Thunder Tiger 1/10 Nitro 4WD monster truck kit (parts missing)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deldridg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

the other day a mate gave me a Thunder Tiger Nitro 4WD 1/10 kit (see attached pics) from a magazine series he bought about 12 years back here in Australia. He hadn't started building it and every part is present, other than the parts that would have come with magazine 13 - the rear left driveshaft and ball connector.

I'm assuming they will be identical or very similar to the parts for the right rear driveshaft (DS length may vary I suppose), which I have (see pics). If I can't locate them, perhaps I can have them fabricated somehow???

I have contacted Thunder Tiger in Taiwan in the hope that they will be able to supply the missing parts. If this doesn't eventuate, my quest will be to find a way to either locate existing parts or establish a means to having them made somehow (assuming it's worth it financially).

I'm assuming Thunder Tiger won't have them any more, so if anyone can offer any advice on the following options I will be extremely grateful:
  1. try to locate the part on various forums,
  2. try to find someone to machine the matching part(s),
  3. just build it and forget about driving it,
  4. part company with the project all together (that would be unfortunate).
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Sydney, Aust,
Dave

Attachments

• Brochure a.jpg
    Brochure a.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Brochure b.jpg
    Brochure b.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Instructions for RHS.jpg
    Instructions for RHS.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 79
  • RHS Rear dshaft parts.jpg
    RHS Rear dshaft parts.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 84
  • List of parts for LHS.jpg
    List of parts for LHS.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Dave I have ventured down the have a machine shop make a part to replace a defective part that was made outa white metel that kept braking. Part was $6 a pair my price from machine shop was $50. I then went on a search for a all in 1 machine I could purchase to do this type of work myself(my schooling gave me hands on to every tool in a machine shop) so I purchased a 6 in 1 machine from a estate sale for cheeep. bridgepot.lathe,surface grinder.drill press.mini blancharde grinder..
to be honest I think id sell this kit with known missing parts and move on to another nib kit one that is complete and has the support to get you the parts that are missing if any..

Many thanks for your replies. I will look further into sourcing or fabricating the driveshaft
Dave I have ventured down the have a machine shop make a part to replace a defective part that was made outa white metel that kept braking. Part was $6 a pair my price from machine shop was $50. I then went on a search for a all in 1 machine I could purchase to do this type of work myself(my schooling gave me hands on to every tool in a machine shop) so I purchased a 6 in 1 machine from a estate sale for cheeep. bridgepot.lathe,surface grinder.drill press.mini blancharde grinder..
to be honest I think id sell this kit with known missing parts and move on to another nib kit one that is complete and has the support to get you the parts that are missing if any..
Hi mate - thanks for the reply. I had considered fabricating this but like you, I don't really have the equipment. If I can't find something close to replace it with, I'll probably do as you suggest and sell it to someone with better fabrication skills than I have! Cheers, Dave

The ball end thing is fairly generic. Unless your building for accuracy sake, you can likely use any typical 3mm ball end to replace it.

The axle is also generic looking. HPI used ones like that on their 1/10th 4wd trucks like the NitroMT and MT2. Not sure if they would be a direct fit, but might be worth looking into.
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86229

https://www.ultimatehobbies.com.au/hpi-axle-5x41x7mm-2pcs-hpi-86229.html
Hi mate - big thanks - looks very promising. You have sharp eyes - indeed the HPI part is similar. Mine is as follows (looking at image from left to right):

Driveshaft.jpg

• total length = 36mm
  • threaded section = 9mm long with dia 4mm
  • shank section = 15.5mm long with dia 5mm
  • tiny shoulder = ~0.5mm long with dia 7mm
  • end piece = 11mm long with dia 11mm
  • Internal diameter 7mm at 9.5mm deep, flanged from 5mm from opening up to inside dia of 10mm at the opening
Note - I did use a micrometer, not the steel rule! :cool:

There is a driveshaft locknut but I'm guessing that they'll be generic like the ball connector as you said.

You've been a great help and thanks. I am getting some hope here!

Cheers,
David

Last edited:
Back