sea water damaged nitro truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ado101

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
iv decided I'm going to try fix up my "schumacher havoc nitro truck" which iv owned for a few years and for the last 2 yrs its been not running from sea water damage. i let a lad have a go down at the beach and he ended up driving it into the sea water.
the electics are wrecked and the engine I'm nearly sure would be seized from the salt water along with the carb(if they have one?).we water the truck down that day for ages trying to clean out the salt water so it might have worked.
the nitro truck has never started since that day.
how much is it going to cost to fix it up?
how much is a havoc nitro truck worth in good condition?
is it worth fixing?
:buggy1:

if it went in salt water. it would probably be best to replace the engine and electronics. your bearings are probably shot as well. I would say a complete tear down and rebuild. About all that will be salvageable would be the plastic parts.

EDIT: the non moving aluminum parts should be ok as well, but steel pivot pins are probably pretty rusted out.

Last edited:
if it went in salt water. it would probably be best to replace the engine and electronics. your bearings are probably shot as well. I would say a complete tear down and rebuild. About all that will be salvageable would be the plastic parts.

EDIT: the non moving aluminum parts should be ok as well, but steel pivot pins are probably pretty rusted out.
how much would you think roughly it would cost?
would i be better to sell it for parts and buy a new or used one?

you wont know until you get into it. a bearing set runs about $35 i think. It all depends on how high end you want to go. you could drop $100's on just bearings if you wanted to.

Then there is the engine. do you want a stock replacement, or a $500 race engine, or something in between?

Then radio set, you can get a decent FM with a couple of servos for $150 or so. maybe you want a higher end one, or a stronger steering servo...

I can't tell you what to do.. honestly if it were me, i would have never let it sit for 2 years after a salt water bath.

Yrs ago my savage 21 went into a sw lake (6volt came unpluged at wot) stripped truck down that night wd40 engine and replaced reciever and one servo and she fired right up. Your engine may be ok? only way to find out is strip it pop block in oven remove both bearings clean em or replace em. Then strip carb clean it reseal backplate/carb/needles with High temp rtv gasket maker

flood it with wd-40, then flush with MMO.

I'd get a new Rig with 4x4 & a 2.4 Gig system & waterproof electronic's Traxxas has awesome Rig's out now with waterproof electronics RTR outta box.. IMO for what you will spend in a complete tear down & buying of new parts you can get a brand new Rig...

& alittle advice DON'T LET YOUR BUDDIES RUN YOUR RIG'S NO MATTER HOW BAD THAY SAY THERE BE CAREFULL.. None of my friends run my Rig's " I learn'ed my LESSON awile back " NOW because of it thay run into something & break a part there not going to care & just say there sorry & if you ask them to give you the money for the repair /replacment of parts forget about it.. " My Friend actually said it's NOT his Rig " & My friend set my remote down on the ground & said see ya later I am going home & I had to retreve my Rig under the parked car tire he slamed it into.. After 3 weeks of saving up to get replacment parts & got it up and running again my Friend come's up the alley & say's OHH You got back running & has the NERVE to ask me for another try & still being ticked @ him I told him to get lost & WE are No longer friends Sorry dident mean to ramble but that's my story on letting a friend TRY...

Last edited:
Yeh plus one for that. I tell em if they wanna drive it they better have $1500 in the bank cuz if they break it there paying for it. Most of em are like yeh I'll be right. Iv let people drive mine when it was stock and they just do stupid poop. Put it under cars some how at wot. Do donuts and balloon the crap out of the tires. Just not fun Watching my pride and joy being abused like that. So now it doesn't happen.

I would take it all apart. Replace all bearings and check over everything. Iv beached my car but I had mine apart and new bearings in and everything cleaned with fresh water within an hr. luckly nothing was broken apart from the off wheel bearing etc

Haha, I have to make fun of my buddies and really push them to start bashing on my rigs, I always tell them that there is nothing they could do to my truck that would be any worse than what I do.

To the O.P., it will really depend on what is still available for your truck. You could do as stated above and tear it down completely but if it was salt water and then you just parked it, chances are it'll be shot. I'd never trash a rig without looking it over first, you may be lucky and be able to salvage it but if it's going to be too much, I'd look into a new ride.

Back