scx10 honcho = scale love

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotvotkong

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so I've been into scale anything for a long time, 1/32 1/10 ho n scale, from slot cars to trains. i like to make the trees, people and buildings.

I've recently gotten into nitro again, and I've got a few of those around now. so i was really bored in the cold wondering when i could finally run my nitros. i finnaly broke down and bought a electric, but i got the scx10 honcho.

i work in the mountains at a ski resort. its year round, and i figured its the best thing i could do before or after work every day. (rock/snow crawling)

i got the rtr and it was just ok out of the box. running lipo 2s its almost a lil too fast but just right after a while, but.....

after some youtubing, and thinking, i raised the body with the included parts.
also converted the front to 4 link from the parts in the box.
next up i replaced the stock servo with a traxxas 2075 digi waterproof. it took a lil dremeling on the servo hump to mount flush, and then a bit of dremeling on the front brace were the servo arm (stock too) hits for more clearance.
next up was take the drive shafts out and put a 5mm bolt with the head cut off inside each male shaft end with loctite.
after that i took out the bumpstops from the shocks and tightened down the bleeder on them all and added a lil more fluid. they were all leaky!
next up i went down to the hobby shop and ordered up the aluminum link kit 12.3 inch... part number #ax30550 also contains the steering links. (thursday it will be in)
so while i wait for that i picked up 2x #3762 traxxas shock xx sets. then i paired em up with some soft springs, and the 3 hole pistons. gave me a bit more travel over the stocks, and more hight. the axle angles are still ok imo, and i dont experience any binding that i can hear or notice in my practice runs.

the proline would run a few bucks more when said and done vs what I've done. and yea what I've done is even cheaper if you have soft springs, or the shocks already. some people use fuel hose in the upper mount, but i just use the stock spacers included with the shocks to make them paralel with the lower mount. the axial aluminum shocks are the same size as the stock ones, and neither are real piggyback, so i thought what the heck why not.

I've got the week planed out to plastidip and marine grease all the goodies before the link kit comes in. after that i think 2.2s and some weights are all i will ever need for this.... besides a few scale items to be event legal.

so far i can drive it around the yard in any depth of snow. the truck can cruise almost ontop of it even fresh powder doesn't stop this thing. ice, water, it does it all.

One thing you can do for a more scale appearance is to use a servo relocation kit from RC4WD.com. Here's what it looks like installed in my SCX-10/JK project:

20121016_161551_zps0a92907e.jpg

they are out of stock and have a put me on waiting list button :( maybe ebay will have it. but it would definately mean less travel.

do you like having your battery in the back like that?

It works better on the trails for me that way.

If you go with the 2.2 combo you will loose quite a bit of the "scale" appearance but gain quite a bit ground clearance. I ran the Badland 2.2's on mine for about a day. Great grip but it sat so high the COG made the rig very tipsy. Either way it sounds like your on your way in the right direction

so more suspention work today. figured a few things out that may help others maybe you already know. but here it is. using the long rear shock from rustler or any other long rear traxxas shock. i used the ones from #3762

take the stock axial shock apart, completely.
take the stock traxxas shock apart completely.

put the traxxas shock rod and compare to the axial.
put the axial piston on the traxxas rod.

use the traxxas rod end, its longer than axial, and you should have metal balls in the ends.

now you can spin the threaded guy down to make the shock extend all the way, and make the travel stop at the top of the shock, since the rod is longer than the body.

i used 10w oil, and i get almost full movement with rear or front wheels still both flat on ground. ill be getting some slightly softer than stock springs to see if i can get that last few mm out of it.

in the end i have a aprox 5-7mm lift it doesn't seem like much but it is.

been busy waterproofing, got another day of it tomarrow, and then install all the aluminum links! then its back to the suspention. I'm hoping weights and springs will be enough to fully dial it in. i have 2.2s on the way, but i may stick with the 1.9s after all.

all the aluminum links are in and working great, had to extend the fronts a lil more then the directions said to, as to make a better driveshaft angle. got the softer springs in and I'm loving it. everything is coming together nicely.

wheel weights are still on the way. looking at tires now..... are the pit bulls the widest 1.9 crawler tire? they seem great with beadlocks. but if theres a wider tire that i can get, id consider it.

Wait do you mean height?

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

but if theres a wider tire that i can get, id consider it.

2.2's are wider

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

a wider tire for a 1.9 i have some 2.2s and its a big big leap. I'm looking more in the midrage between them. everyone seems to have the pitbulls on their scale rigs lately.

got the pit bull rock beast 1.9s in the other day, mounted on some axial beadlocks with weights in all 4 wheels. tires are great, a touch taller, and a good amount wider. only running 1 of the 2 stage foams that the tires come with. got out today and ran 2 batteries worth in the snow over various terrains.

first the snow over pavement, then snow over grass, onto wheelbarrow dumped dirt mounds, onto snowbanks into mud, water, into snow again. then it was onto the snow covered rock garden.

it was great everywhere. id say these tires are a great replacement for the stocks all around. they are a bit pricey tho at 35ish a pair, but they are made by a real tire company making 1-2 rc scale tires.

today was a $0.15 mod!

take a #6 airplane washer and put one on the inside of each wheel on the outside of the hex. they are deep enough to take the 1-2mm of the washer and still tighten down and take the center caps as well.

its not alot wider, but in scale terms 1-2mm isnt that bad. should tied me over untill i can find some real good way to widen it a bit.

anyone know if these do in fact fit the honcho?
http://store.rc4wd.com/Mini-12mm-Wheel-Widener-4_p_273.html

Last edited:
finnaly decided to get the body clearance right since ill mainly only run the tire/wheels i got on it now. got it lowered more after some dremeling, and i have yet to cut a single piece off the actuall body.(it was previously raised alot using the big tall mount up front)

moved the esc to the rear for more even weight. picked up another set of pit bull tires for the dingo, beadlocks, a savox servo, stock axial esc2, stock axial raido/transmiter. I've yet to get the aluminum servo arm for the dingo, but i did get one for the honcho the other day. also yet to get upper aluminum links for dingo, and 2 pairs of proline scaler shocks to see how they are vs my custom ones.

the body, is getting a old not so good way, but better for scale paint job. 3-4 layer.

inside body painted brownish color, outside the body painted 3 layers, each a solid layer, outer paint, primer gray, rust. I've seen it done, and as long as i can clean the body enough to make the paint really stick, it will turn out great.

also i found another lhs that sells rc4wd stuff in stock, and open on sundays! so they are my new sunday place, i could never leave my main store.

pics i figure are about needed at this point, so soon ill get around to posting them all.

You have 2 rigs? I'm hoping my new kit will be done thus week, the build thread will come after lol.

well i have the honcho that i run just about every nite after work, and then i have the dingo kit that I'm just about done with. got the body to finish, and waiting on the rest of my electronics to arive. I've also got a sc10rs a slayer pro 3.3 and a nitro stampede .15pro.

Nice, start a build thread i would love to see your progress on it, err or them lol.

Back