Schumacher Rascal : Converting to roto!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meldarion

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey :)
Took my rascal out today to give it a run (Haven't taken it out since last summer!). Just wanted to make sure everything was working ok seen as though the weather is getting a bit better now :)
Made sure everything was charged up, checked the glow plug and igniter, transmission etc... Took the car outside and fuelled up, primed it, turned on the transmission. I put the glow start in and left it for a couple of seconds before starting to pull. When i did, i noticed the pull start didn't seem to be turning over the engine properly, at least it didn't sound like it, then suddenly the cord came out >.>
This is not the first time this has happened to me! When i first bought the car i had excatly the same problem when i was running in, it had barely been started more than 2 times! I bought a new one, but managed to repair the old one and refit it- the last time i used it, it was working fine. Not wanting to go through with the hassle of fixing the broken one i decided to remove it and fit on my spare (This one was brand new). I kept my old backplate and one way bearing, i simply changed the pullstart. Once it was screwed on i gave it a few pulls and it seemed to be working fine. Pleased that it seemed fixed, i took it outside and once again tried starting the engine! It was hard work, this car is notorius for being difficult to start cold but it did seem harder than usual. I tried opening the throttle a little more, but that had little effect. It seemed like the engine wasn't turning over as much as it should have been, sometimes it seemed not to turn at all and on other pulls it would turn slightly. Eventually i took out the glow plug and tried pulling the cord, the piston moved up and down smoothly. Baffled, I wiped the plug and put a drop of fuel into the engine, i replaced the plug and tried again. I could hear it giving a few revs and trying to start but eventually it went back to nothing again. By this point my arm was killing me! xD I decided to try adding a little more fuel to the engine and raising the throttle a little more but resultantly it became slightly flooded and the pull became tough! Not wanting to break it, i decided to take out the plug and drain some of the fuel out by pulling the start, once some had been drained i replaced the plug and tried again! It didn't seem to be working and just as i was about to give up it suddenly started! Relieved i gave it a few revs and ran it around the garden- it worked fine! No stalls, it wasn't overly rich but there was always a stream of smoke visible from the exhaust! Phew, at least the engine didn't have any problems! xD I ran it until the tank was empty :)
Happy i decided i would do one final test. After leaving the car for a few minutes i refilled the tank and attempted to restart it, the car was still quite warm (Usually it would start with 1-3 pulls) but again it didn't seem to work very well, convinced it would start i continued to pull then low and behold....
The cord came out of the starter >.>

So! I had to give in for now, but the plan is to scrap pull starts and convert it to roto :)
WHAT I NEED TO KNOW (For the people that do not want to read the massive story :p)
What bits will i need to buy in order to convert my schumacher rascal from pullstart to roto, i have an idea but i just want to make sure i haven't missed anything out
This is the car i have : http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=24586
This is what i am going to buy: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=27156

And ofc i will need a roto start! (http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=27157)

Please let me know if there is anything i have missed, or if there is any other advice that you have :)
Just to clarify, i didn't pull the pullstart like a maniac or anything LOL I have a kyosho truggy with a pullstart aswell and i can start that fine and have never had to repair it once! :p
Thank you so much for your time :)

if the cord is being pulled and the engine is not turning over it may be that the one way baring may be shot or needs a clean

Clean the one way bearing and pre-heat the engine. If the mill is still fairly new, crack the glow plug loose until it starts as well. Also out of curiosity, what fuel are you using?

Atm i am using 16% model technics nitro fuel :)
Would it be better for me to get fuel with a higher nitro content and go for a colder plug? Only thing is i am guessing i will have to re-tune my engine if i do that right ? :O
Once i get these pull starts fixed i will give the one way bearing a good clean and try it out again :)
Still reckon it is a good idea for me to convert to roto though? I know it is a pain to have to carry the starter motor round, but i am not fussed if it makes starting the engine much easier ^^
Ty for all the help guys :)

never had a roto start but i would try the pull first cos of the price and also roto start you may not know when engine floods but not having one i dont know

A roto start is handy. But it requires a stick pack and a charger. As said above, you also get to actually feel what the engine is doing with a pull start.

i have a schumacher myself, but the riot 2, believe its the same engine, my only tip is to clean the owb, i had the same problem. i also learned that when puling the pull start out from the engine to pull it slightly at and angle away from the engine, if you pull the pullstart out at 45 degrees from the engine, have it at about 20 degrees to the left or right (so the string of the pull start is rubbing on the pull start casing as you pull it out) i find this has sorted all my pull start issues on the schumacher.

Dave

Ty for all the advice :)
I will clean out the one way bearing and see how it goes :D
Still going to order a roto backplate aswell, just in case :)
Was also wondering!
If ever i change the glow plug in my car, what should i go for?
Engine is a .18 and i use 16% fuel, i was thinking of a medium/cool? Just thought i would double check first :)
Ty :D