Scaler Metal Rod Bumper Help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm going to attempt to fabricate my first set of bumpers using some thicker gauge copper rod, all will be hand bent, but cannot find any referances or how-tos with measuring, bending (no jig) and photo step by steps, even if its using a jig. So any input on this will be apreciated.

Thanks guys

I wouldn't recommend using copper. I would go with either 3/16 brake line, or solid 3/16 rod. My tuber is made from all solid rod, mig welded. If you go with the brake line you can braze it.

I wouldn't recommend using copper. I would go with either 3/16 brake line, or solid 3/16 rod. My tuber is made from all solid rod, mig welded. If you go with the brake line you can braze it.

Any good links to where you got your rod? I dont have a mig so ill have to braze it I spose

I use 3/16 steel rod from home depot, they have a little stand that has a bunch of rod and square tubing. If you braze it with safty silv 45 it will work perfect if you dont have a wire feed.
You could also use delrin.

Heres one I did outta steal and one I did outta delrin.

013-28.jpg

037-3.jpg

003-84.jpg

003-85.jpg

006-56.jpg

Can I use a regular small coleman torch for my brazing? That delrin is a good idea also

No, you have to use MAP gas, BUT its not a biggy. I got my MAP gas torch at home depot with an extra tank for under $20...

Will look like this...

bernzomatic_trigger_start_torch_f.jpg

Do you know how to weld with a wire feed? Price of them (small ones) has come down so much and you can buy complete setups that work pretty good for hobby stuff for well under $100.

Maybe I will try wire feed my gramps has one

A mig welder is like a metal calk gun the easiest form of welding there is a little practice and you'll be doin it.

Back