Savage XL Flux on 6S, will it hold up ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvtepixels

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, i bought a Savage Xl Flux two weeks ago, what a beast... i've been running on 4S. Till this moment i had two problems, the center gear box has broken a plastic bushing, i made a new one out of a stainless steel nut to replace that, then the pinion toots got completely crumpled, it seems to me that the pinion it came from factory wasn't hardened steel, replaced it and now seems to be ok, I'm planning to run it on 6S, but i only pretend to run 6S on parking lots, to do some speed runs and do some slides and drifts where the road has some sand, 4S it's more than enough to use on dirt, my concern is the transmissions, will they hold up to 6S without braking? Is there anyone there who had problems running on 6S ?

Sorry never had the flux version of the savage. I'm sure some of the other guys will know tho :)

I had the savage x flux hp for a long time, ended up with 6S in it. But I had a rc4me.us transmission with a center diff in it. Pretty sure I had 750K in the center to help make it more drivable on 4S, but ended up putting 6S in it and changed to 500K then gearing it down to 16/48. I ran the castle MMX/2200kv 1515 in it and it ran warm (also runs warm in my maxx 4s on 6S... so who knows). I'd suggest a larger motor with more torque and a max6 esc to give you a bit more headroom.

It was still a wheelie happy idiot. I ran trencher 3.8's on it and I wrapped them with 550lb cored kevlar cord. My first run blew both front tires off the wheels within 3 minutes... I then pilfered tires off my outcast (also had trencher MT 3.8's on it, but they were wrapped), then it was fine. I didn't need to wrap them on 4S with 21/44 gearing.

I also ran 4 big bores on it with associated 40wt with yellow long springs on the rear and white long springs on the front. Then it would handle the big jumps pretty good.

My only real warning, DO NOT RUN RPM ARMS WITH 4 SHOCKS! They twist and snap the shock ends off. Took me a while to figure out what was going on and that was before finding rc4me.us as a source for parts, so I was paying $25 to get the parts tree with 4 shock ends on it.

Also, I found that the integy rear axle carriers worked well to get rid of the rear turnbuckles. I ran those on my nitro X and flux hp for a long time without any issues. One of the few integy parts I'd buy again if needed.

I had mine geared/setup to run at a grass bmx track that I run at a lot, so my gearing might be a bit low if your on dirt/pavement more than your on grass.

This was my last run with it... some days, I just could not buy a good landing with any truck... this appeared to be one of those days. The text at the beginning has the wrong spur/pinion in it, but I had already deleted the source files, so I just mentioned it in the description.

I had the savage x flux hp for a long time, ended up with 6S in it. But I had a rc4me.us transmission with a center diff in it. Pretty sure I had 750K in the center to help make it more drivable on 4S, but ended up putting 6S in it and changed to 500K then gearing it down to 16/48. I ran the castle MMX/2200kv 1515 in it and it ran warm (also runs warm in my maxx 4s on 6S... so who knows). I'd suggest a larger motor with more torque and a max6 esc to give you a bit more headroom.

It was still a wheelie happy idiot. I ran trencher 3.8's on it and I wrapped them with 550lb cored kevlar cord. My first run blew both front tires off the wheels within 3 minutes... I then pilfered tires off my outcast (also had trencher MT 3.8's on it, but they were wrapped), then it was fine. I didn't need to wrap them on 4S with 21/44 gearing.

I also ran 4 big bores on it with associated 40wt with yellow long springs on the rear and white long springs on the front. Then it would handle the big jumps pretty good.

My only real warning, DO NOT RUN RPM ARMS WITH 4 SHOCKS! They twist and snap the shock ends off. Took me a while to figure out what was going on and that was before finding rc4me.us as a source for parts, so I was paying $25 to get the parts tree with 4 shock ends on it.

Also, I found that the integy rear axle carriers worked well to get rid of the rear turnbuckles. I ran those on my nitro X and flux hp for a long time without any issues. One of the few integy parts I'd buy again if needed.

I had mine geared/setup to run at a grass bmx track that I run at a lot, so my gearing might be a bit low if your on dirt/pavement more than your on grass.

This was my last run with it... some days, I just could not buy a good landing with any truck... this appeared to be one of those days. The text at the beginning has the wrong spur/pinion in it, but I had already deleted the source files, so I just mentioned it in the description.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with it :thumbs-up:, did your Flux HP came with the bulletproof diffs?

Hi, i bought a Savage Xl Flux two weeks ago, what a beast... i've been running on 4S. Till this moment i had two problems, the center gear box has broken a plastic bushing, i made a new one out of a stainless steel nut to replace that, then the pinion toots got completely crumpled, it seems to me that the pinion it came from factory wasn't hardened steel, replaced it and now seems to be ok, I'm planning to run it on 6S, but i only pretend to run 6S on parking lots, to do some speed runs and do some slides and drifts where the road has some sand, 4S it's more than enough to use on dirt, my concern is the transmissions, will they hold up to 6S without braking? Is there anyone there who had problems running on 6S ?
Yes I've bought a savage xl flux about a year ago, the main problem using my savage on 6s is that the front diff breaks no matter what. I tuned the Start Mode (punch) all the way down to (1) and used thicker diff oil (50K to be exact) but no use the front diff keeps braking, any advise will be helpful.

Yes I've bought a savage xl flux about a year ago, the main problem using my savage on 6s is that the front diff breaks no matter what. I tuned the Start Mode (punch) all the way down to (1) and used thicker diff oil (50K to be exact) but no use the front diff keeps braking, any advise will be helpful.
A lot have been changed on my savage since i created this post, you can see the changes here: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/savage-flux-xl-mods.132941/

Your front diff problem might be caused by the braking, check the brake force on your ESC, also having a center diff will increase a lot the durability of the diff's, when i installed the center diff on my savage the diff problems stopped... also heavy tires, heavy tires are evil for drive trains.

Back