Savage XL break in procedure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessF

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just got my new XL in the main, man what a nice looking truck.

Read through the manual and the break in procedure is quite different than the steps I had to take with my TRX Slayer.

Running the first tank through the savage with the wheels off the ground concerns me, do I add throttle during this time? How are you guys breaking in your 5.9 engines?

thanks

Just got my new XL in the main, man what a nice looking truck.

Read through the manual and the break in procedure is quite different than the steps I had to take with my TRX Slayer.

Running the first tank through the savage with the wheels off the ground concerns me, do I add throttle during this time? How are you guys breaking in your 5.9 engines?

thanks

I would only adjust the idle enough to keep it running while running in the first tank. Also loosen your glow plug a little bit. This will stop it from flooding and also hurting your one way bearing.

Loosen the plug when starting. Tighten it up once it's running.
Your wheels might turn, but that's not important now. You need to keep the trim up enough to keep it idling. Once in a while you can do little blips on the trigger to blow the 'snot' out of the pipe.

Thanks guys, got it broken in yesterday. Had it up on blocks so my friend and I could get the egnine to idle without stalling, factory settings were way off.

Once we got it to idle without the wheels spinning we took it to a local school parking lot and began the break in.

Did a few passes to assess the egnine tune and concluded it was extremely rich, plus my temps didn't go past 125f. Leaned the mixture to bring the temps up to 200f then began using the Traxas break in meathod. I'll do my 6th and final tank tonight to tune the engine for performance.

so far the truck's a blast.

i let my car sit on the ground when i broke it in
it didn't say to have the wheels of the ground or not and when i picked it up the revs increased dramatically BUT wen it was on the ground the clutch wasn't grabbing at all so i dont know but yea its done now and it runs great so can't complain :)

Thanks guys, got it broken in yesterday. Had it up on blocks so my friend and I could get the egnine to idle without stalling, factory settings were way off.

Oh yeah they were way off on mine also. Yep I owned or have owned about 12 nitro rc cars and by far this is the best one as far as dependability and bashing. I don't race so I am sure there are better Monster Trucks suited for racing but this thing is amazing. When I can take it out and jump off a 4 ft 1/4 pipe all after noon and not beak anything I call that a great day..

Just had the truck out after work today. This was the tuning tank. Worked the HSN then did the pinch test. Around 4 seconds to stall so I still have some tuning to do. I decided to bring it in and mod the body. I want to cut out the front and side window for air movement, and allow me to see the smart temp fail-safe.

so far so good. I set the brakes a bit hard, had it flip head over heals on me 2 before backing off the brake tension screw.

I think I'm hearing it shift from second to third very quickly, does anyone else have that issue? Is it an issue? I would think keeping it in second for a bit longer would help acceleration.

so far I trust the Traxxas method of break in, combine with Squireload (youtube nitro guy, purveyor of the tuning vid.) in that I don't come to full break after 2 seconds but maintain the engine at around 200f for the break in procedure.

do you have to break in, on paved road does it matter lets say on gravel road?

cool thanks that's what i what to hear.

driving it on a flat consistent surface like asphalt seemed to work really well in getting the engine temps up to 200f. An uneven surface like gravel should work as long as your wheels aren't slipping.

I'd stick with asphalt if possible.

Back