Savage XL 5.9 Break in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just got through breaking in my new Savage XL 5.9. It was trying at times, but I got through it ok. I would not recommend the Savage XL 5.9 for first time nitro uses. Yes it was my first nitro, but I have a lot of experience in RC's and I always go big. lol Now I'm having fun and breaking parts. Got to get me a new receiver antenna and stronger antenna tube. Anyone ever made their own receiver antenna? Just a thought. Reason I broke it was because the only wheelie bar I could get at the store was cheap and would put the rotostart rod in a bind. Had to take it back off so I would flip truck over and watch it slide down the road on it's top. lol Got to buy a better wheelie bar. Got to get some upgrades anyway. What's the best online store to buy parts at anyone?

You might want to invest in an extra one way starting bearing that goes in the engine!
The little shaft that catches inside the crankshaft tends to shear off under starting stress.
I've went through 3 of them in the past 7 years!

You might want to invest in an extra one way starting bearing that goes in the engine!
The little shaft that catches inside the crankshaft tends to shear off under starting stress.
I've went through 3 of them in the past 7 years!

Ok, thanks

First, YMMV with this, but as I run in a comparatively small area, none of my rigs have an antenna outside the body. I know someone sells an antenna "spool" but I made my own. It's essentially a piece of left over plastic parts tree with the wire wrapped around it. In my Savage it lives inside the radio box. I do this because I've never been able to keep anything on it's wheels all the time, and recievers get expensive (and I HATE waiting for parts)

First, YMMV with this, but as I run in a comparatively small area, none of my rigs have an antenna outside the body. I know someone sells an antenna "spool" but I made my own. It's essentially a piece of left over plastic parts tree with the wire wrapped around it. In my Savage it lives inside the radio box. I do this because I've never been able to keep anything on it's wheels all the time, and recievers get expensive (and I HATE waiting for parts)

Thanks I will have to try that.

I use a stock type (plastic straw type) antennae tune and slide a piece of rubber tubing down to the base of it. Then slide a spring down over that and clip it with a small, tight fitting body clip. It Def seems to help with snapped tubes during roll overs. If you don't have the parts lying around, any decent hardwar store will have all of that stuff cheap... Even found clips at home depot.

Lol....I been involved in rc's for 20 years an never had a problem with the antenna ,other than one time when the old 27 MHz
was too close to the clutch bell creating interference with reception!

If you have the 2.4 version ,then keep it short were it comes out of the receiver box!...:cool: