Savage runs but not driving?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a problem with my Savage, and as a total noob to R/C stuff I thought it best to ask advice.
I've come to start my Savage today and have noticed that the bit my roto start goes into is loose and not fixed firm against the back of the engine? Anywya, I managed to start it up anyway but there is lacking any drive to it, the engine is ticking over but when I pull the accelerator it doens't rev any higher (despite the rods moving when I press the accelerator).
I have tried to include a picture below circling where there is the gap, about 5-10mm.

I'm guessing this is somehow connected to my problem for it not driving?

savage-problem-1.jpg

Cheers
Wardy

If your rotostart backplate is loose, it will create a possible airleak for starters. It may not be that bad, but it could happen.
Another thing that may be happening is that due to the angle that the plate is at, it may be binding the part of the crankshaft that the oneway and rest of the starter couples to. That ultimately will keep the engine from winding up.

No doubt, best bet is to remove the engine and secure the backplate properly. Then try it again and see if it has helped.

Is that a Savage 25? The bad part of the backplate is the screws are an oddball size and most likely you are missing a couple. The only way I found them was buying a new backplate. Be sure to use loctite when installing the plate.

Back