Savage Acceleration

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroM3GTR

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm a touring car guy(look at my sig) but I recently bought a used Savage 21. I haven't gotten it yet, but I've read reviews that say it has bad acceleration. Is this true? Is it possible to get a stock Savage to wheelie? From what I read it sounds like it bogs in acceleration.

You will not get a stock savage21 to wheelie not with the stock 21BB engine at all. The 21BB is a good engine and has a decent amount of power but you would be better off to get yourself a new engine if that is your goal. Now the engine that it does come with should provide you with hours of enjoyment so there should be no problems there at all.

My friend has a stock savage with a wasp .26 and a 14 tooth bell that can wheelie

i have a 25rtr and it wheelies all stock. but thats at 25, 30% more power than a 21

Nitromadman you are talking two different engines. I have a picco26 in mine and it wheelies all day long. However when I put the HPI 21BB in it with low, low gearing it still will not wheelie.

yeah I don't think the 21bb can rev up as fast and dosent have the torque

Whether or not it can wheelie wasn't really my main question, I was just curious. Does the truck not have enough low end torque and therefore accelerates slowly? I might have to buy an XTM 24.7 but I won't if I don't have too, I have two other vehicles to take care of.

sav 21

hi, i have a savage 21 with a ribbed exhaust, 52 spur gear and a 13 tooth clutch bell, I'm using 25% tornado fuel aswell. for my first petrol car id say it has bags of low end! i would see how you get on with it then decide if you want a more power full engine.

g unit
showphoto.php

I have a .18 in my maxx, it's fairly used/tuned in. It's a tad faster off the line than the savage, but only because it is so much lighter.

The savage with a fairly used .21 has plenty of low end TORQUE, acceleration is ok as well. I think the savage is a much heavier truck and that is why it is a little slower off the line. As for torque, the .21 has gobs of torque plenty for almost anything.

When climbing hills, it will either flip over, or dig holes it will not bog down. Even near vertical it accelerates as it's going upwards.

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied with it.

Well I started out with the s25 and it would wheelie occasionally and it's supposed to be much more responsive than the 21. However the s25 is lame compared to the mach 26 that I just installed last week. If you want more power then you'll have to upgrade your engine. If you want faster take off then you'll have to gear down which takes off the top end.

I don't really wanna take down from a 30mph top speed when I'm used to between 40 and 50. I'll just buy a new engine when I can.

Originally posted by newnitrofan
You will not get a stock savage21 to wheelie not with the stock 21BB engine at all.
BULLSHIT! I dont know if HPI changed the gearing ratio between the first generatiojn that came out and later generations but my Gen 1 would wheelie upon command until I beefed up my suspension. People don't give enought credit to that engine. It's not a bad engine. Most people just know that it's a stock engine so it must have horrible performance

Originally posted by newnitrofan
You will not get a stock savage21 to wheelie not with the stock 21BB engine at all. The 21BB is a good engine and has a decent amount of power but you would be better off to get yourself a new engine if that is your goal. Now the engine that it does come with should provide you with hours of enjoyment so there should be no problems there at all.

Pirate did you read this post??? I never discredited the engine at all only for wheelying power. Did you change your gearing to lower than 14/52?? I ran that exact same gearing with a two shoe clutch and never saw one wheelie. Now I never said it was a bad engine for the purpose of your last post. It's a good engine

NitroM3GTR, I notice that you have a yokomo drift car. aftering see a drift video it has become very tempting. are they any good? or does the excitement wear off quickly?

sorry bout the tangent... now more on topic, I'm running a stock 21BB and I can decent acceleration off the line, probably jumps into second gear in around a couple of seconds.

just play with it till it busts, then get something bigger. if u want to run a bigger engine, u'll need to upgrade your drive train as well.

Yes, it's a very good kit. There are, however, two things that you should know about it. It comes with bushings on the axles-you might wanna upgrade that. Also, the screws are a little weak so make sure you have a good screwdriver. The excitement lasts...I would be drifting right now but I lost a small part and have to wait to get it from SpeedTech.

As for the engine, I was looking at either the XTM 24.7 or the HPI .25, which can be bought from HPI for $90 after trading in the .21.

if you are upgrading the engine i would go with the picco .26. Its a great engine, easy to tune, and very fast!! :dance:

Well, I'm quitting my job soon so I might not be able to afford a new Picco. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm only 15:D

Back