Savage 25 Throttle linkage post bending, help?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey gang,

So I picked up a Savage 25 from TacRacing (hey Tac! Sweet rig, thanks!) and it's a powerhouse. However, I'm having one issue that I'm curious about.

The L-shaped part attached to the chassis that the Y-throttle linkage screws into is flexing. Every time I'm hitting the throttle the linkage bends inwards. This is making it difficult to really fine-tune the carb action and get a reliable response (or even get to WOT)... especially with the carb return spring on. If I remove the spring I get a little better action but still am not getting WOT. Plus I'd prefer to have a return spring for peace of mind :)

The Savage 25 manual lists it as a piece of part 85058 (can also be 85051 depending on your manual version or if comparing Savage X parts list).

Are there any hop-ups to a metal or stronger plastic L-piece for the Y-post to bolt into to remove flexing on-throttle? I'm guessing that the plastic has fatigued from usage (even with the support ridge) and is flexing way more than it should. If there aren't hop-ups or mod tricks, how much flex would/should I expect on a replacement part?

Click to enlarge pics & see circled part
85058.jpg

85058-top.jpg

GH Racing sells aluminum linkage posts. Definitely recommend them.

GH Racing sells aluminum linkage posts. Definitely recommend them.

Well holy crap. I should have thought to check GH, that's *exactly* what I was looking for! It's for the X but it should fit the 25 with no problems right? If anything I may just have to adjust my linkage turnbuckles.

Thanks Coby!

Sorry about the flexing posts!!
I only ran one or 2 tanks with the Mach installed. The throttle return spring is pretty beefy on that motor. I am sure that is why it is flexing.
Keep your eyes on the chassis plate screws. The reason why you got extra bags of screws is because they like to wiggle out. I lost one and replaced it. After another fell out, I bought a couple of bags. If there is a metal threaded object, use loctite!! I think I used it on a few screws.
I hope the body was not too bad. You may need to cut the hole out a little bigger for that mach motor head.

Take care of her!!

Sorry about the flexing posts!!
I only ran one or 2 tanks with the Mach installed. The throttle return spring is pretty beefy on that motor. I am sure that is why it is flexing.
Keep your eyes on the chassis plate screws. The reason why you got extra bags of screws is because they like to wiggle out. I lost one and replaced it. After another fell out, I bought a couple of bags. If there is a metal threaded object, use loctite!! I think I used it on a few screws.
I hope the body was not too bad. You may need to cut the hole out a little bigger for that mach motor head.

Take care of her!!

I did a once-over and already loc-tite'd her down where needed. I also trimmed the stock body for the Mach head. Switched out the stock servos for some with more oomph. I'm obsessive-compulsive like that :)

What did you run the Mach and stock motor on? 20% or 30%? I put in some 30% and the Mach fired right the hell up first pull... but I was having problems getting it to idle consistently. Have since switched to 20% and re-tuned and all is well with the world. This thing is a beast :)

I ran Trinity MonsterHP 20%

I could not imagine a bigger motor in that truck. It would take all of the fun out of driving it.

To me, it looks like you just need to adjust your throttle linkage. Your not getting enough throw.

Screw the ballcup on the wire more that connects to the carb. This will put the bellcrank in a better position to give you more throw. You will more than likely need to adjust your linkage on the servo as well to let the extra throw not hold the carb open at idle.

This is a picture of mine at idle:
2008-1108-SavageRollBarLeft02.jpg

You can see how the the end on the L that ties to the link to the carb is closer to the carb than yours. This allows you to get more rotation out of the bellcrank before the opposing side hits the wire.

Do you still have my old savage... and if so, how is it running?