Rustler spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxx 3.3 boss

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm running proline trenchers with proline split six beadlocs, but only on the back. They are like two ounces heavier than the anacondas on the front.

After running in the wet road yesterday I came to find out my reciever fried, so it went out of can't roll and made the pinion gear spin at max speed and wore out one side of my spur gear.

I was looking and was wondering what tooth count I needed. Before I was running the stock but my motor temps were getting pretty hot. Now with the heavier wheels I was wondering what I needed. All I do is bash around and occasionally do some speed runs. Should I just get the stock again or do I need something different.

If it was running hot it may have been a little lean. I don't remember what the stock spur gear was but look at the 72 tooth one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Disregard, I was on my phone and didn't notice that this was in the electric section lol. I would drop a couple teeth on the pinion, try a 16 tooth, or go up a couple on the spur. Is this brushed or brushless, what ESC/motor are in it?

I have the velineom setup, and I needed a new spur mine got stripped out, so what tooth is the stock now, and what do I need, I'm bashing around so would I get the same results or close to the stock one?

83t stock.
Google is a wonderful tool.
As suggested drop a couple 2-3 teeth.

Sent from my *PiMP Boy-3000*

Last edited:
You can also go to Traxxas' website and look at the exploded views for you car, they'll show every part #. Looking at the exploded views, it looks like your stock spur is an 83 spur and a 25 pinion. I'd jump up to an 86 tooth spur (90 if you're offroad a lot), check your temps and if they're still high, I'd drop a couple teeth on your pinnion. With the larger tires you should be geared like a Stampede.

What size Trenchers are they, 2.2 or 2.8?

2.2 so there not that much bigger, it's just the weight cause of the beadlocs

The easiest way to learn gearing is to see it as a ratio. Take the number of spur gear teeth and divide by the pinion gear teeth. So if ur running an 80 tooth spur and 20 tooth pinion the ratio is 4 to 1. The closer you get to 1 to 1 the faster you go which means less torque and torque is what you need to move bigger tires.

The hobby shop guy told me that you go higher in spur tooth count for more speed , and lower in pinion gear tooth count is faster to. From my understanding isn't this the opposite. Just need some clearing up

Pinion: + teeth =higher top end, - teeth = more low end

Spur: + teeth = more low end, - teeth = more top end.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks, looks like the hobby shop guy was wrong.

When I put the heavier 2.2 beadlocks and Dirt Hawgs on my mERV, I ended up dropping a couple of teeth on the pinion to keep it from thermaling on 3s.

Just use the ratio method I mentioned. There's nothing to remember in that scenario. The closer the numbers get to 1 to 1 the more top speed. The farther the more low end torque. The reason I say go with the ratio method is because if you change teeth on both gears you can actually not change the ratio at all.

Funny I actually was thinking of that method the whol time he was talking to me, he explained it so I figured he knew what he was talking about, and if he didnt that I could still return it

For me taking the 2 teeth count numbers and dividing is so much easier. Get closer to 1 you go faster get farther away you accelerate faster.

Back