Running different size Tires on 4WD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baris41

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today i made an experiment with different size tires on my savage xs. As you can see in the photo, fronts are standard (outer diameter: 10cm, 4''), rears Proline Badlands around (12cm, 4.7''). Handling improved in return of running all Badlands around. Bashing and flips are way more easy and entertaining. So, would this cause problems on diffs, drivetrain or clutch?

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_213754.jpg
    IMG_20200913_213754.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 137
If you're curious how to do it right... Arrma pulled it off with the Felony. You need different gear ratios in each differential to compensate for the differing tire diameters. So you'll only be able to pull off something similar if you can find different gear sets that will fit whatever your rig is, and then match them to a tire size, if you're lucky.

Otherwise... you're just gonna cook some diff fluid.

If you're curious how to do it right... Arrma pulled it off with the Felony. You need different gear ratios in each differential to compensate for the differing tire diameters. So you'll only be able to pull off something similar if you can find different gear sets that will fit whatever your rig is, and then match them to a tire size, if you're lucky.

Otherwise... you're just gonna cook some diff fluid.
I didn't realize that thing ran different OD tires... I thought it just ran wider tires on the rear. Had to double check to see for sure and they sure do use different gears. Just what they need... more diffs.