Run till no fuel?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_newbie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK,so am i supposed to be running until it runs out of fuel?..if not what should i be doing?:n00bie:

You can refuel while the engine is running, just remember there is no fuel pump. The fuel is pushed to the carb via exhaust pressure. If you hold the fuel cap open too long you lose that fuel pressure and the nitro engine will die.

It depends upon run time, what you're doing, etc. Sometimes I'll let it flame out on a dry tank and let it cool and take a break. Other times I'm having fun, the truck is in perfect tune, and I want to keep bashing, so I squeeze more fuel into it with my fuel bottle...

HTH...
Mark

you are NOT supposed to run the engine out of fuel. when you are under throttle it will run the engine lean (not enough fuel and oil) and it will over rev the engine and can actually cause harm and overheating. when refueling i just refuel the thing, open the cap and dump more in. if your talking about how to shut down your engine i pinch my fuel line so no fuel can get into the carb. yes i know it is the same as letting your tank run out, but this is done at idle. the short quick burst of running lean will NOT cause damage to your engine. when you pinch the fuel line the engine should rev up slightly and die. if it dies very quickly (depending on where you pinch the line) your LSN is to rich, and if it takes over 5 seconds for your engine to die, your LSN is to lean. so pinching the fuel line helps with tuning as well.

even tho i just told you to NEVER run your tank empty (its a good habit to get into) if i am not planing on running again for awhile i will watch my tank closely and let the tank get low and run around at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. as soon as i hear the engine rev up, i get off the gas to keep the RPMs down.

i hope i didn't confuse you, and i hope this helps!:first_place:

you are NOT supposed to run the engine out of fuel. when you are under throttle it will run the engine lean (not enough fuel and oil) and it will over rev the engine and can actually cause harm and overheating.

err...no.

Yeah, it is going to lean the motor out...
Over rev the engine from being lean..? I'm just going to leave it as that.

actually cause harm and overheating.
5 seconds for your engine to die

Over heat in 5 seconds, really? The temperatures are going to spike, but not enough to damage the piston or sleeve.

If you want to know, yes I am ragging on you. There is a heap of information on this website. There are also individuals that can provide the right info to the posted question. If you don't know the answer to something don't try to answer.

When I stated "let it flame out" I didn't mean at full chat with a death grip on the trigger...

Any good nitro user will know the run time of a full tank on his (or her) R/C, and/or constantly "bring it in" for a fuel check. I do just that and when it's really low and I want to take said break (or I'm done for the day) I just let it sit and idle or I do slow figure eights until it revs up and flames out. That's NOT going to hurt the engine.

As for shutting off, while pinching the fuel line is a good tuning tool, I prefer the Savage enigne stop kit. It's under 10 bucks and you simply push the button and it grabs the flywheel, stopping the engine safely. No burnt fingers, no lean outs, etc.

HTH...
Mark

Nitro Newbie:
At the end of the day's running (or extended break), it's not good to leave fuel sitting in the tank and engine.
Fuel tends to attract moisture and is corrosive.

If my rig is intact and still running, I always run it out of fuel in the manner similar to what Mustang described.
As Mustang mentioned, you keep track of how much fuel is in the tank (and the fuel fill bottle can also remove fuel too) and when it's time, run it out of fuel gently.

when you pinch the fuel line the engine should rev up slightly and die. if it dies very quickly (depending on where you pinch the line) your LSN is to rich, and if it takes over 5 seconds for your engine to die, your LSN is to lean.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt it the otherway around...?

Dies less than 3 sec LSN to lean
Dies over 5 sec LSN to rich

If i am wrong I've been doing it ALL wrong..

Yeah, dark slayer has the pinch test results backwards. Under 2-3 seconds=lean. Over 4 seconds=rich.

.....my bad for mixing up the pinch test lol sorry :]

an now that you specified....when i want to run out my tank (as i stated above) i run 1/2 to 1/4 throttle but as soon as i hear the engine rev up, its right off the throttle.

you just dont want the engine comming to go lean, and the RPMS to spike over the engines redline.

a thing that I've found out from running the tank out is that even with 1/4 throttle and letting off as soon as it revs up....when the tank goes out for about a second or two it will seem almost as tho you are full throttle so watch for any trees or poles when it flames out (those poles move fast!)

When my rigs are tuned in good, or even half ass close, the rpms only spike a tad when the tank runs dry. I may be a hair rich on the lsn compared to others though. I run in grass mostly, and I get things cookin' pretty hot.:) Can't believe my clutches hold up. Running under-powered engines have a couple of perks.:)

when the tank goes out for about a second or two it will seem almost as tho you are full throttle so watch for any trees or poles when it flames out (those poles move fast!)

You must be on the lean side to start with,mine barely change when it runs out. It will not over-rev an engine.

Mine don't redline or take off either.
You hear the change in the exhaust note and the rpm's rise for a split second before it uses up the last of the fuel and cuts out for good.

It depends if I'm running a body or not, with a body I just put it upside-down and wait. No body I just pinch the line. You simply cannot over-rev an engine. Reving with no load is bad tho.

Reving with no load is bad tho.

Thats what i thought but down at my LHS there is 3 Indoor race tracks.. or shld i say undercover tracks cause the fumes dont build up much.. well ventelated..

Back to the point.. they all get pretty sereious about there racing and everytime I'm there 95% of them start there riggs.. pick them up.. and as they walk over to the tracks with there riggs in their hand they rev the crap outta them.. sometimes i dont even think they gave it enough time to warm up even a little bit..

I still refuse to do it to mine.. just seems wrong

A short burst won't hurt but these guys probably have $ anyway.

With the wheels off the ground is not exactly "no load". You don't want to hold it WOT,but these guys are revving them to get them warmed up and ready for the race.

err...no.

Yeah, it is going to lean the motor out...
Over rev the engine from being lean..? I'm just going to leave it as that.

Over heat in 5 seconds, really? The temperatures are going to spike, but not enough to damage the piston or sleeve.

If you want to know, yes I am ragging on you. There is a heap of information on this website. There are also individuals that can provide the right info to the posted question. If you don't know the answer to something don't try to answer.

Why dont you try and follow your own advice? He ment that when pinching the fuel line the engine will die, not that it will overheat.. learn to read before you decide to rag on someone that actually knows what they are talking about..

Why dont you try and follow your own advice? He ment that when pinching the fuel line the engine will die, not that it will overheat.. learn to read before you decide to rag on someone that actually knows what they are talking about..

Predat0r, perhaps you're the one that needs to read! gnarkill's response was correct and referred to this statement below by darkslayor24 which is indeed bogus.

you are NOT supposed to run the engine out of fuel. when you are under throttle it will run the engine lean (not enough fuel and oil) and it will over rev the engine and can actually cause harm and overheating.

A new engine during break-in is the only time I would worry about any lean out issues when the tank runs dry. Even then you shouldn't be on the throttle hard enough anyway to harm anything .

Predat0r, perhaps you're the one that needs to read! gnarkill's response was correct and referred to this statement below by darkslayor24 which is indeed bogus.

A new engine during break-in is the only time I would worry about any lean out issues when the tank runs dry. Even then you shouldn't be on the throttle hard enough anyway to harm anything .

And perhaps you need to read also, he was being cocky and mis-read what darkslayor24 had said about the 5 second pinch test, he referred to dark saying that the engine is going to overheat in 5 seconds WHICH HE DID NOT, and then decided to throw his little cocky remark into the end of his statement.

The fact still remains that it is NOT good for these engines to be run dry, its not going to hurt doing it a few times, but in the long run it is going to hurt it, because of it leaning it way out.