Rotostart or Pull Start?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mido

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm thinking of switching to a pull start instead of the roto thats on the savage x 4.6 rtr engine. I HATE having to carry it around everywhere i go. If anyone has any links on how to change the roto to pull that would be great. First time i do it so I'm guessing i just taking those 3 screws on the back of the motor, and shuv the new start on and tighten it back in? are there any springs or something i should be aware of?
Let me know !
Thanks

i would stick with the roto start the pull start is just going to give u problems in the end. if u run in the cold its going to be harder to get it running.

i run a pullstart in the winter and usually my motor will fire up in 3 or 4 pulls. to switch it out is easy. just pull the motor out. remove the 3 or 4 screws off the the roto start. clean the one way bearing and just reinstal the the pull start and remount the motor. should only take 20 mins or so.

I think the roto start will be better than the pull start in the long run

Stick with the rotostart. I have eventually had issues EVERY pull start system I have ever owned. Once the motor is fully broken in they usually work fine, but they can be a major hassle sometimes. I always use a starter box for my cars and truggies, and roto start for my Savage. I just use a cordless drill to start them instead of the rotostart thing as I always have my drill with me in my RC tool box anyway. I'm currently trying to find someone that has a roto start backplate for my OS .30 so I can get rid of the pull start.

yer i agree that rotostarts seem better but i reckon if your carefull enough they won't snap too often. i've got a pullstart car and it has only snapped once in over a year so having the convenience of not carrying around a rotorstart has been worth it in my opinion. I'm changing my savage to a pullstart cos i hate lugging up into the bush with the rotorstart and then finding the battery is flat but it just comes down to personal preference..

Honestly, i never had problems with either of them. But i prefer the Rotostart tho.

i am thinking about switching my savage to pull start also my roto start will not turn my truck over i have to put the shaft in a drill to start it i am still thinking tho

If your engine is tuned right then a PS is a much better choice. It will always start with just a couple pulls with the correct tune and a charged ignitor.

If you're snapping pull starts then I'd look more at the engine than the PS.

nitro motors can be temprimental and will give u issues from time to time, it helps SO much when can crank the bitch for a bit to work out its probs... just get a good 7.2V battery with decent MhA and pack it with all ur spares/fuel in a tackle box that's what i do, too easy..

Using a pull start requires a pretty good understanding of tuning. If you don't know how to tune you will end up with tennis elbow from cranking all day. I prefer a pull as it gives me a better feeling of what the motor is doing. Really hard to tell if you have flooded the motor with a Roto. That is why so many people burn up OWB's. They are cranking on a flooded motor and the bearing can't take the stress.

i wasted my owb going this when i first got my savage

Stick with the rotostart. I have eventually had issues EVERY pull start system I have ever owned. Once the motor is fully broken in they usually work fine, but they can be a major hassle sometimes. I always use a starter box for my cars and truggies, and roto start for my Savage. I just use a cordless drill to start them instead of the rotostart thing as I always have my drill with me in my RC tool box anyway. I'm currently trying to find someone that has a roto start backplate for my OS .30 so I can get rid of the pull start.

i have a several roto starts here
would it matter if it came off a savvy stock or not?????

i have pullstart on both my savage ss and my savage x ss and a rotostart on my rs4 3 evo. i like both but i prefer pullstart.

Back