rotary engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamikazexkilla

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Does anyone know of a rotary motor I could put on something like an rs4 I think it would be pretty neat to have that on an Rc

Well it has a rotary carb but is still a single piston engine. The only ones I have seen are airplane engines and are a bit too large to be of much use.

oh my bad. Its early (; but i was the only RC land specific engine i saw. All the other ones were Airplane engines.

Yep... it WOULD be super cool though. But a Wankel that small would not do a not of good...lol

Wankel engines were known for their compact size and low weight as well as their higher output for a given size. I don't know if they ever made a 2-stroke version though.

Yeah I've never heard of a "wankel" that small, except for the one Rolex has.:hehe::whhooo:

The airplane engines are commonly referred to as radial engines.

Do you mean like a mazda rotary or an airplane type rotary with the pistons around in a circle?

The rotary "wankel" engine has a bulged triangle (for lack of a better term lol) that rotates inside a housing. They are a very unique design and can generate a lot of power but only under ideal conditions, a little bit of detonation under higher boost and the seals will let go requiring a rebuild.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl2uumlI"]Rotary Engine - YouTube[/ame]

That"s a rotary engine same with Mazda.

Do you mean like a mazda rotary or an airplane type rotary with the pistons around in a circle?

If it's got pistons, it's not a rotary. Pistons in a 'circle' would be a radial engine, usually with an odd number of cylinders.

Back in the 80s, I know that Malibu Grand Prix had small rotary engines in their race cars. They weren't great on the low end, but at speed they were a handful.

Just to clear it up a bit I am talking about a rotary like out of a Mazda is it even posible to produce that kind of motor that small?

If it's got pistons, it's not a rotary. Pistons in a 'circle' would be a radial engine, usually with an odd number of cylinders.

Yea thats what I meant, I confused the terms, I just know that from my grandpa talking about his navy days flying P2-V planes.

Yea, my knowledge on radial and rotary engines in limited.

They did make rotary (Wankel) aircraft engines a while back. I remember seeing them on the web, I just can't remember where.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPVE3&P=7

that is possibly the best thing i have ever seen in the world of rc.
it says it will do 18000rpm. but a rotary has 3 combustions per cycle per chamber so thats 3 x 18000 combustions thats 50000 combustions. conventional nitro engines you can't hear one combustion from the next the're that quick. i can't imagine what this rotary sounds like. but your fuel is gonna drink 3 times as fast if not faster. it will also heat up very rapidly probably only suitable for planes.:D

i wonder how you break one in... there is no bdc

Last edited:
I've read that it's a .30 sized engine with the power of a .40 and the fuel consumption of a .60.

REQUIRES: Fuel: Use top quality methanol-based model engine fuel containing approximately 25% castor-oil:whhooo: & 15% nitromethane. Wow this would be a slobbering messy engine.... I will pass!

Back