Roller bearing to ball bearings?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Could I possibly switch to ball bearings? The roller bearing for my clutch bell disintegrated. Megatech .16 M16 engine.
04337DFB-91D4-4C44-886E-E32B594F7B1A.jpeg

I would try to find a better roller bearing. Roller and ball bearings are designed for specific purposes. If they used a roller bearing, the engineer that designed it had a reason for that. That doesn't mean it won't work though, but I personally would stick to roller.

Buy a traxxas clutchbell or the like, I think they are 5x7x2.5, one front and one back. Almost certain Hpi also uses needle bearings, as my 15fe has them.

Looking at the picture, pug, trying to posit what may have caused the cage failure.

Possibly too much clutch bell endplay? Does it look like the inside of the clutchbell was riding on the shoes? A problem I ran into once that was causing frequent engine stall going off throttle. The rollers themselves display either possible skidding on one half of their length, and/or excessive heat (lack of lube?) on the other. Hard to really tell but looks suspicious.

As stated above, were it me, I'd try to stay with the roller for this application. Be interesting to see how you resolve this. 'AC'

Looking at the picture, pug, trying to posit what may have caused the cage failure.

Possibly too much clutch bell endplay? Does it look like the inside of the clutchbell was riding on the shoes? A problem I ran into once that was causing frequent engine stall going off throttle. The rollers themselves display either possible skidding on one half of their length, and/or excessive heat (lack of lube?) on the other. Hard to really tell but looks suspicious.

As stated above, were it me, I'd try to stay with the roller for this application. Be interesting to see how you resolve this. 'AC'
I think that it failed due to old age, it came out of an original HPI RS4 (I believe), the old engine is seized so I'm putting a new engine in.
Buy a traxxas clutchbell or the like, I think they are 5x7x2.5, one front and one back. Almost certain Hpi also uses needle bearings, as my 15fe has them.
Where can I get these bearings from? I can't seem to find any.

Kind of need a photo of your clutch bell and clutch as well.

I had the old RS4 Nitro MT which used M1 bell/spur, but most 1/10th nitro's use 32p I think. My RS4 used that same needle bearing/cage thing and it would heat up/melt if you pushed it too hard. I can't recall what I ended up putting on mine... but the OS 18CV-R I put in it didn't help matters much. That combined with some sticky losi step pin tires made things slip a bit.
2005-0101-NMTRight.JPG

Big issues I had with that thing were the arms/c-hubs breaking and chassis flex tearing up spurs.