Rock On!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow that sucks :OMG: something to be said for staying on land

Rob

I LOVE when we get those on lake Erie. Spouts are a blast to watch! Just dont get tooo close!

Great pic!

8-0

:OMG: Can anyone say " Perfect Storm".

Originally posted by 87bansheefmf
something to be said for staying on land

Rob
Naw, the sea is a great thing. I enjoyed the thousands of miles I have sailed on her and the thousands I am still looking forward to sailing on her.

Can you say aircraft carrier launching and recovering aircraft in similar conditions...perfect storm my arse...

Must be interesting to land on a 1000' runway. I've been in some C-130's that have landed on 1500' runways and that seemed really small. I also remember a trip I took to San Blas in Panama and I landed on this gravel runway with seemingly only inches to spare before the plane would have stopped in the Caribbean Sea.

The landing area is not 1000', the entire carrier might be around that long, but the LA is much shorter. Believe you me, I give the pilots credit where credit is due...I've been through some interesting and gamey landings in some of the worse conditions, and each time I have thanked the my buddies for bringing me home safely.

SkyMaxx what carriers have you landed on???

I have collected over 500 traps onboard several carriers:
USS Theodore Roosevelt
USS George Washington
USS Enterprise
USS John C. Stennis
USS Harry S. Truman

I have also landed in a helo or two onboard:
USS America
FNS Foche (probably mispelled...French Carrier)

Please note that I am a passenger during these landings...I am not the person at the controls. My mission takes place whence airborne...the launching and landing I leave to the experts...the US Naval Aviators (pilots).

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
Can you say aircraft carrier launching and recovering aircraft in similar conditions...perfect storm my arse...

Wow, I have heard some pretty hairy stories being in the marine industry. Not to mention I have gone on countless fishing trips.what you guys do takes some big jewels.

Last edited:
So SkyMaxx you have been on mostly Nimitz class ships. And yes I know Enterprise is in a class all its own. How do you like the short take off on the ships, even Disney land can't match that ride???

It is a kick in the pants. I liken flying to the best roller coaster ride in the world (except there are no rails). If you are going to start that roller coaster ride right, then a catapult shot is the way to go...0-flying speed in less than the length of a football field...that is awesome power.

For those that want to know what the carrier looks like from the pilot's view on landing...

Cv_ramp.gif

Last edited:
What's the yellow thing hanging off the stern? I would imagine it has something to do with alignment or the tailhook or something.

Originally posted by El Pirata
What's the yellow thing hanging off the stern? I would imagine it has something to do with alignment or the tailhook or something.

Thats its tail lol;)

I think its there so they know which end to land on. Hey this is what the guy on the deck looks like when your landing:banana:

I think its painted yellow to assist in the elevation and flight line assessments when landing. I would imaging that the control tower is enough of an indicator as to whether or not they are landing on the right side of the ship. Call me cookoo!

:bow: BIGSHIP