rewind recoil ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pee wee

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, my recoil rope is getting VERY thin on my picco.26. Is it a pain in the as* to rewind it with a new rope? Or would I be better off spending $20 for a whole new recoil? Thanks for your time!!

PW

Depends on two things. How patient are you, and how many have you done. SkyMaxx is the resident pullstater-rewinder-fixer-guru. He's done them in not time flat, but he's also done alot of them.

It's not all that difficult. Get the PS off the engine. Holding the spool, remove the handle and let the cord retract into the housing by gently letting off the pressure on the spool. Once the spring has gone all it will go, use a tool to keep the spring in the housing (hold it against the inside of the housing with a flat head screw driver or something) and remove the spool. If you do it right, the spring will stay in the housing all coiled up. If not, be sure you have some safety glasses on. Take the old string off, toss it if it's really nasty and thin. Make sure you note the wind direction of the cord (I didn't the first time I did mine). Wind the new cord on and leave enough dangling so you can fish it thru the hole in the housing. Next, line up the spring with the slot in the spool and push the spool back in the housing. The sprin has no preload on it, so you'll need to set this now. Pull on the cord some (maybe 1/2 the length) and manually wind that on the spool while keeping the spool fron moving. Do this untill you can extend the cord to it's max length (or nearly so) without putting too much strain on the spring, and have enought tension to return the cord to the spool. Put the spacer on the string, then the handle. You should be finished now, except for putting it back on the mill.

mine broke at the track and it sucked pretty bad, only got one run in. So, do yourself a favor and fix it now, and avoid a blown bash.

I haven't talked to you in a while Error but thanks for your help! I think I'll give it a try, what the hell. Take it easy man.....Later PW