Revo 5310 Rebuild/Refresh?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's going on with the engines? looks really nice!!!
Thank you.....the 2.5 would not idle no matter what I tried (factory settings on carb, diff plug etc.) and the 3.3 revved up very high and stopped with a bunch of white smoke coming from the engine(overheat?) at that point I was to tired to investigate , so hopefully in the next couple of days I can inspect it and take a few pictures to post for any and all input....:)

Thank you.....the 2.5 would not idle no matter what I tried (factory settings on carb, diff plug etc.) and the 3.3 revved up very high and stopped with a bunch of white smoke coming from the engine(overheat?) at that point I was to tired to investigate , so hopefully in the next couple of days I can inspect it and take a few pictures to post for any and all input....:)

There is other factors involved ,other than the engines tune ,in which ,you can not properly tune an engine if there isnt
enough pressure to the fuel tank ,so ,always check those other factors before blaming the engine!

There is other factors involved ,other than the engines tune ,in which ,you can not properly tune an engine if there isnt
enough pressure to the fuel tank ,so ,always check those other factors before blaming the engine!
I wasn't necessarily (I don't think I was..:p) blaming the engine, I was answering the question from D3MON, How do I check pressure to fuel tank? and what else should I look at. Thanks in advance.

I wasn't necessarily (I don't think I was..:p) blaming the engine, I was answering the question from D3MON, How do I check pressure to fuel tank? and what else should I look at. Thanks in advance.

Usually ,if an engine is running badly ,an any carb adjustments wont solve the issue ,than something else is wrong!

It could be bad fuel ,bad plug ,leaky head or carb seal ,bad or plugged fuel lines or filter ,the pressure line from the
muffler to the tank is one of the most important parts of the engine ,an the seal on the fuel tank ,if that pressure tube
is restricted any way or if the tank has a pressure leak ,the engine will never run right ,an you will never be able to tune
the engine!
Always keep those things in check ,to check pressure in the tank is simple ,just blow into the pressure tube by mouth ,
an pinch off the fuel line tube to the carb ,if pressure holds under pressure ,then you are good ,if it dont ,then the lid
seal or fuel line or nipple is bad!

Also ,make sure that the muffler itself is pushing the pressure into the line an not restricted!....:cool:

Usually ,if an engine is running badly ,an any carb adjustments wont solve the issue ,than something else is wrong!

It could be bad fuel ,bad plug ,leaky head or carb seal ,bad or plugged fuel lines or filter ,the pressure line from the
muffler to the tank is one of the most important parts of the engine ,an the seal on the fuel tank ,if that pressure tube
is restricted any way or if the tank has a pressure leak ,the engine will never run right ,an you will never be able to tune
the engine!
Always keep those things in check ,to check pressure in the tank is simple ,just blow into the pressure tube by mouth ,
an pinch off the fuel line tube to the carb ,if pressure holds under pressure ,then you are good ,if it dont ,then the lid
seal or fuel line or nipple is bad!

Also ,make sure that the muffler itself is pushing the pressure into the line an not restricted!....:cool:

Thanks,

New Fuel, New Plug, New Fuel Lines, New O-ring carb, I will need to check Fuel Tank pressure and also will make sure muffler is pushing to tank. Should be able to do that in a couple of days and I will post my finding then for you.

Thanks,

New Fuel, New Plug, New Fuel Lines, New O-ring carb, I will need to check Fuel Tank pressure and also will make sure muffler is pushing to tank. Should be able to do that in a couple of days and I will post my finding then for you.
Here is 1 of 4 short videos I attempted to make
. (I hope this link works, if not let me know)...the Exhaust pipe broke today so any more testing will have to wait....oops

Thanks,

the remaining videos...

Here is 1 of 4 short videos I attempted to make
. (I hope this link works, if not let me know)...the Exhaust pipe broke today so any more testing will have to wait....oops

You need to go back to your Y-tube chanel ,an push the public button ,can not watch the vid!

I just ordered the exhaust pieces I need (I ordered the spring type that was suggested earlier but wanted to wait until needed to save cost at the time), I won't have them until this weekend....:-(

What does it do if it runs more than 7 seconds? The 3.3's I've had don't idle all that low in general. Are the wheels off the ground? Just curious, did you replace your clutch/clutch-spring or look at it to see how it is?

A busted clutch spring would allow the shoes to swing out and drag excessively which will kill an engine that is almost at idling rpm.

What does it do if it runs more than 7 seconds? The 3.3's I've had don't idle all that low in general. Are the wheels off the ground? Just curious, did you replace your clutch/clutch-spring or look at it to see how it is?

A busted clutch spring would allow the shoes to swing out and drag excessively which will kill an engine that is almost at idling rpm.
It will run for a bit longer and then it acts like an overheat? (makes a click) and won't restart for a long period to cool off it will crank but not start and now I need to wait to do more testing waiting for parts, in those videos the vehicle was sitting in place and the clutch was put on Sunday and it was in one piece then. I will recheck all of that when I have the parts this weekend.

If it's getting that hot that quick, your sucking air somewhere or not getting fuel through. Is the tank old? I can't recall if there's a stone filter in the tank or not. If there is, and it's been sitting for a long time, the fuel gels up and clogs the filter. You can force fuel backwards through the line to try and clean it, or just spend $15 and get a new tank to rule it out.

Also, you may have a crack in the crank case. I've cracked 4+ trx 2.5/3.3 crank cases over the years right where the flange meets the crank case. That makes it suck air really bad and also makes a mess all over the chassis with oil.

Here:
2009-0927-Cracked-2.5-3.jpg

If it's getting that hot that quick, your sucking air somewhere or not getting fuel through. Is the tank old? I can't recall if there's a stone filter in the tank or not. If there is, and it's been sitting for a long time, the fuel gels up and clogs the filter. You can force fuel backwards through the line to try and clean it, or just spend $15 and get a new tank to rule it out.

Also, you may have a crack in the crank case. I've cracked 4+ trx 2.5/3.3 crank cases over the years right where the flange meets the crank case. That makes it suck air really bad and also makes a mess all over the chassis with oil.

Here:
See attached pictures...I was able to take a few things apart this morning, I can also definitely tell that there is no fuel tank issues (including the lid makes a suction sound when opened).

You could try taking the piston/sleeve out and check the pinch. Might just be wore out and your getting a lot of blow by when it's running.

If you can easily push the top of the piston out of the sleeve, the pinch is likely pretty bad and only gets worse when the sleeve warms up and expands.
2008-0315-PistonPinchSH28small.jpg

Here:
had an engine doing this, piston/sleeve were worn out. ran strong until it would die after about 3-6 minutes then would try stalling and dying then wouldnt restart until it cooled off all the way. is a chance you may be able to get them re-pinched.

the 2.5 engine, to me it sounds in the first video the idle is racing then on the bottom one it sounds like it is running rich and stalling out. what does your idle gap look like? was it changed between the two videos or where you giving it throttle at all in the first and or second video?
how hot is the engine getting? playing with the throttle, can you keep the truck running?

*if you are at factory settings* the mixture should be very rich, try leaning the HSN about 1/8-1/4 turn, see if that helps. remember to run some WOT passes between needle adjustments to clear out the Crankcase.

had an engine doing this, piston/sleeve were worn out. ran strong until it would die after about 3-6 minutes then would try stalling and dying then wouldnt restart until it cooled off all the way. is a chance you may be able to get them re-pinched.

the 2.5 engine, to me it sounds in the first video the idle is racing then on the bottom one it sounds like it is running rich and stalling out. what does your idle gap look like? was it changed between the two videos or where you giving it throttle at all in the first and or second video?
how hot is the engine getting? playing with the throttle, can you keep the truck running?

*if you are at factory settings* the mixture should be very rich, try leaning the HSN about 1/8-1/4 turn, see if that helps. remember to run some WOT passes between needle adjustments to clear out the Crankcase.
Those videos were all the 3.3... and not hitting throttle at all.
Is this the idle gap?

what is the best way to see if piston/sleeve is worn out?

Back