Reviving my old 2.5 Maxx, electronic upgrade recommendations?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalise

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone, new here and trying to get back into the hobby after a while. As title says, took my old 2.5 T-Maxx out for the first time in about 5 years. Always had issues with it and annoyed me but I've had time to cool off and try again.

Completely rebuilt the engine and carb and got rid of the terrible EZ-start for a traditional pull, runs well now I just need to control it reliably.

I have the TQ3 controller and 2215 receiver with the 27MHz red crystals. I see a lot of people pushing for the 2.4GHz as it can resolve a lot of glitches/increase range. I'm interested, what do I need to do this?

Noted my servos are all super weak (single 2055 with 2 2018s), honestly can't tell if they're just bad or if the communication sucks. Are the 645MGs still the go-to? I can get 3 new 2055s for the same price as a single Hitec, wondering if it's really worth the extra $$$.

Lastly, batteries. Sick of pulling the casing off to replace the AAs. Looking at a converting to 6V hump pack, with a new battery case and charger port in the OEM location. Is there a kit for this or do I have to find the Traxxas numbers individually? Was going to follow this guide as it looks pretty applicable.

Open to any and all other suggestions, this is just what I've come up with after returning after my hiatus. You guys know better than I.

Hi everyone, new here and trying to get back into the hobby after a while. As title says, took my old 2.5 T-Maxx out for the first time in about 5 years. Always had issues with it and annoyed me but I've had time to cool off and try again.

Completely rebuilt the engine and carb and got rid of the terrible EZ-start for a traditional pull, runs well now I just need to control it reliably.

I have the TQ3 controller and 2215 receiver with the 27MHz red crystals. I see a lot of people pushing for the 2.4GHz as it can resolve a lot of glitches/increase range. I'm interested, what do I need to do this?

Noted my servos are all super weak (single 2055 with 2 2018s), honestly can't tell if they're just bad or if the communication sucks. Are the 645MGs still the go-to? I can get 3 new 2055s for the same price as a single Hitec, wondering if it's really worth the extra $$$.

Lastly, batteries. Sick of pulling the casing off to replace the AAs. Looking at a converting to 6V hump pack, with a new battery case and charger port in the OEM location. Is there a kit for this or do I have to find the Traxxas numbers individually? Was going to follow this guide as it looks pretty applicable.

Open to any and all other suggestions, this is just what I've come up with after returning after my hiatus. You guys know better than I.
controller, Flysky GT3C and or GT3B so far has treated me very well, good range, good price, many cars can be bound to it.
it is slower than a racer may need but for bashing does great!
personally i really like the Hitec 645MG (30$) and is still my go to, though i have been using the Hitec HS646WP (43$) (waterproof and can handle lipo RX packs if you go that route.), or the Hitec HS5645MG (40$), not waterproof, but little higher torque.
Battery:
https://www.amazon.com/Venom-1600mA...argid=aud-829758849484:pla-570236794528&psc=1
this and probably the Dynamite Prophet sport 50w, (about 25-30$ and down the road is LiPo capable as well), you will need an adapter to charge JR connectors
https://www.horizonhobby.com/DYNC20...1YpRRmh3sZIq-qdm_Bbn2A1Cy6kYKpvxoC6L4QAvD_BwE
you will need an adapter to charge JR connectors
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EC3-female...254?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0
you will also need an on/off switch, traxxas one would be fine for you.

I've replaced the stock steering servo with a 465MG for the time being and shuffled the rest around (2055 to throttle/brake, 2018 to fwd/rev). The torque and response is night and day.

I substituted the stock battery box for the hump pack compatible one and ran all the wiring. Waiting for a pack of bearings to come in to replace all the bell crank bushings and I'll get it back together.

I'll check out that receiver if I continue having issues with this one. And will keep this thread for reference the next time something breaks.

Thanks everyone.

Back