Returning member! Question...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1014

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey friends!! I used to post a lot on here little over a year ago I had to sell my old 1/8 Raze due to bill issues but now I'm ready to buy another 1/8 scale buggy! I only owned one other buggy which was the 1/8th scale Durratrax Raze buggy, I'm up for opinions now what should I get for a "re-entering" stage buggy? I remember a lot about the mechanics of it but my concern of the raze was I used the thermo sensor but it always seemed to over heat? I kept playing with the fuel ratios and nothing seemed to work right... Also it was a lot of plastic...servos...control arms.. always broke on the littlest of jump/drops... like 2 foot drop land on one tire and break...What should I look into buying thats durable...? my price range is try to be under a 600-700 range. IF thats not do-able then suggest something little more and I can pinch my next paycheck haha!

Thank you so much everybody I'm so happy to be back into the forums and a part of this community!

P.S. Anyone in NY? Saratoga area? (I live near Amsterdam, NY) If so e-mail me I'd like to get into a club!! Thank you!!

~Droni~

Post alot huh? 50 aint nuffin! Lol just messin bud, welcome back to RCNT :D

Pfffffff lol :p yeah yeah 50 is a lot for me haha! But aside thy thank you very much friend :)

For $600-$700 you can get something in the high end area. I like the losi buggies myself. I'm still pretty new though so I'd wait until someone with more knowledge and experience responds.

The Losi 2.0 rtr is a great buggy that it comes with everything plus telemetry. Aside from swapping to more durable servos you'd be ready to race competitively. If you want cheaper and some thing you can add to accordingly I would go with the HPI D8s. It's based on the HB D8 and take the Hara addition parts.

I looked into those cars I gotta buy a remote control still it looks like. How much is a decent one and which should I look for? I google shopped them and there is like a million haha

Both come with remotes. The 2.0 rtr comes w/the spectrum 2,4 and the d8s comes w/an HPI 2.4 system. The 2.0 is a really good system. The HPI one is pretty basic but get the job done.

Last edited:
You will more than likely be disappointed with the D8S. My friend has it and the engine is a little on the under powered side. It's also a pull start. The 2 times the car went to the track he bent the center rear drive shaft. They are located about 1-2 mm from the engine mount. The pivot plates are also going to need upgrade day 1 as they are plastic. Spend the extra 200 and get the Losi. The transmitter is also very basic and will need upgrade along with the servos.

Don't get me wrong. With a few upgrades that car can be very nice.

You will more than likely be disappointed with the D8S. My friend has it and the engine is a little on the under powered side. It's also a pull start. The 2 times the car went to the track he bent the center rear drive shaft. They are located about 1-2 mm from the engine mount. The pivot plates are also going to need upgrade day 1 as they are plastic. Spend the extra 200 and get the Losi. The transmitter is also very basic and will need upgrade along with the servos.

Don't get me wrong. With a few upgrades that car can be very nice.

I agree the d8s engine is very under powered. When I got mine I spent an extra 300 and is now very competitive with the stock radio witch I do plan on switching soon. The steering servo is a little slow but has a lot of torque.:)

Wow thank you for all this information everyone! I found a hobby hop nearby my home and the guy showed me the ofna lx2 he said he had used it in competition for years and he has placed first quite a bit unless of course someone brings a $1000 rig lol. Is the ofna worth buying? I don't know this hobbiest very well I just don't want a pile you know? I did notice it has a nice aluminum wheel assembly ehh turned me on and nice fast reaching servos. What do you guys think?

---------- Post added at 7:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:54 AM ----------

It* not ehh and reacting not reaching. Darn iPhone

the LX2 is a great basher its not a racer. Your hobby shop guy is bullshitting you or he was racing guys with other bashing kits. Do yourself a favor and dont buy anything cheap.

My suggestion would be in this order:
1)Mugen MBX6 / E (nitro or electric)
2) Losi 8ight 2.0 / E (nitro or electric)
3) OFNA Hyper Star / Hyper 9E (nitro or electric)

4/5/6) Associated RC8.2 / RC8.2e (nitro or electric)
4/5/6) Kyosho Inferno MP9 or Inferno VE (nitro or electric)
4/5/6) Hotbodies D8 / Ve8 (nitro or electric)

Spots 4,5, and 6 I'm not familiar with personally but they are all race quality and are not really listed in any particular order. I also am not familiar with the Ofna Hyper Star but I know their Hyper 9E is a bad ass machine.

I also want to through out the new Team Durango Buggies the Durango DNX408 and the DEX408 (nitro and electric). Heard alot of good things about these too but I havent owned one personally. I do have the Durango DESC410R (Their SCT) and after several hop ups its a forced to be reckoned with so I would assume their buggies are the same. As for Buggies I personally own the Losi 8ight 2.0 and wish I had the Mugen MBX6.

A basher is Kindof what I'm looking for. There are no tracks by me that I'm aware of unfortunately. I'll look into the ones you suggested thank you

If you just want to bash, I'd go with a monster truck! Buggies don't have alot of ground clearance making it not very good in grass, pretty much dirt and concrete is what you can run them on.

Back