Restored an old Ofna Hyper 7 Pro to running condition then broke the conrod! What next? Brushless!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intoodeep1113

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, First post. I used to run this buggy when I was about 13, then again when I was about 19. Now my 11 year old has taken an interest in it. So I got new batteries for the starter box, receiver, and transmitter. found that the steering servo went bad, so I got a new one of those too. The old OS MAX RZ V01B engine surprisingly fired right up after I got it unstuck (oils had somewhat hardened) I had it running and it ran OK with the carb settings from 15 years ago, but did some more tuning and warming up. It was running well and at about 210 degrees, then on a mid-speed run the conrod gave way. So I found a conrod for this old engine in australia for about $50. I will probably get it just to go through the repair with my son. but ultimately I'm not sure if I wouldn't just be better off converting to brushless. I'm thinking that is about $400 though for a mount, battery tray, esc, motor, battery, and charger for a setup that would be similar in performance to the nitro engine. $400 can also get me a brushless RTR buggy too. but how would the quality compare? anyone have experience with getting parts for these older buggies?

Thanks!

H7 On bench.jpg

broken rod.jpg

conrod and piston.jpg

You can buy another engine for it ,but if you want to go Brushless ,I would cut ties an sell
that old buggy as a used roller an invest in a new Brushless buggy RTR ,it would be
more economical!..:thumbs-up:

I did start with an inexpensive RTR buggy, but I found that many things on it were cheap and were always needing resetting, retightening, more maintenance. where the Hyper 7 pro had a lot of upgrades that alleviated those annoyances. I also see hobao seems to still stock a lot of the part numbers from the older buggy.
What is it worth as a roller to resell?

I did start with an inexpensive RTR buggy, but I found that many things on it were cheap and were always needing resetting, retightening, more maintenance. where the Hyper 7 pro had a lot of upgrades that alleviated those annoyances. I also see hobao seems to still stock a lot of the part numbers from the older buggy.
What is it worth as a roller to resell?

Yes they do ,an I bought their Hobao hyper 21 engine from them ,it is nice ,you may consider putting
one on what you have ,it is a descent price too!.. :thumbs-up:

Hello, First post. I used to run this buggy when I was about 13, then again when I was about 19. Now my 11 year old has taken an interest in it. So I got new batteries for the starter box, receiver, and transmitter. found that the steering servo went bad, so I got a new one of those too. The old OS MAX RZ V01B engine surprisingly fired right up after I got it unstuck (oils had somewhat hardened) I had it running and it ran OK with the carb settings from 15 years ago, but did some more tuning and warming up. It was running well and at about 210 degrees, then on a mid-speed run the conrod gave way. So I found a conrod for this old engine in australia for about $50. I will probably get it just to go through the repair with my son. but ultimately I'm not sure if I wouldn't just be better off converting to brushless. I'm thinking that is about $400 though for a mount, battery tray, esc, motor, battery, and charger for a setup that would be similar in performance to the nitro engine. $400 can also get me a brushless RTR buggy too. but how would the quality compare? anyone have experience with getting parts for these older buggies?

Thanks!

View attachment 154826

View attachment 154827

View attachment 154828
Welcome to RCT!

Id do something a long the lines of what Baker said and just put a Hyper .21 engine in that buggy and then just buy a brushless RTR if thats something you really wanted.

What Brushless RTR are you looking at?

The semi local hobby shops (about an hour away) say to get an arrma over the phone. The basic ones seem like a downgrade though with a plastic chassis. Hesitant to get away from the hyper 7 it's been really tough and is a blast to drive. I guess also some sentimental value/memories to it too...

If I did an rtr I would like something with a good upgrade path. I see kyosho makes a fairly inexpensive inferno evo. With a car like that, are parts interchangeable with the high end infernos? I also read something about a lot of Mugen parts fitting the Typhon. I just don't want to get into something with inferior engineering that went into it haha.

Plastic is pretty durable nowadays. The 6S Typhon or any of the Arrma 6S kits would be decent kits to have.

Not sure what would be interchangeable on the Kyosho kits, but Baker should have some info on that.

What kinda driving are you looking to do with a buggy? Race, bash, jumping, parking lot thrashing?

And welcome to RCT!

Thanks! I guess mostly just bashing and medium jumps. Messing around probably on pavement and some grass. No buggy track nearby, but it would be nice to be capable on a track. There's a 10th scale dirt oval nearby but I imagine that wouldn't fit a buggy too well but it could be fun for a bit.

Thanks! I guess mostly just bashing and medium jumps. Messing around probably on pavement and some grass. No buggy track nearby, but it would be nice to be capable on a track. There's a 10th scale dirt oval nearby but I imagine that wouldn't fit a buggy too well but it could be fun for a bit.

I have the Kyo MP9 TKI4 but it is a racing kit ,however they do make a RTR that is of good qaulity an some people
do take them to the track ,but I dont think they interchange with Ofna ,never tried to mix them!
Hobao or a Hong Nor brand is who to look for to see if parts will interchange & be a direct fit with Ofna an
that could be sketchy as well!.. :cool:

If you aren't dead set on a buggy, you might look at the 6S Kraton. We have one, and it is a beast on whatever terrain you put under it.

Losi, Tekno, and Associated make killer buggies also. HPI has the Vorza. My brother has one. It's a freakin tank, plus it does about 100mph.

the 6S Arrma stuff is good. Not to crazy about their smaller 3S and 4S kits. Kyosho is good, Team Associated, Losi, Mugen, Serpent, Xray, all make great buggies

I would love to get into a kit car, but it seems like a roller starts off at a higher price than all the RTRs. I would really enjoy a build with my son, but I know that route could easily be $1200 all said and done. I guess back in the day I bought an rtr, then a roller kit and transferred parts to it then started upgrading pieces over a few years...

So totally nuts to convert the hyper still? Feel like it's a good roller. The 6s arrma stuff is starting at 500 I think. Would that be better than doing a HOBBYWING Ezrun MAX8 G2 and a 4s lipo with a $40 motor mount and $15 battery tray? That's about $400 for a good motor combo from what I can tell. Could later be transferred to a more modern roller kit if I run into parts availability trouble.

Any other car recommendations?
Thanks for the help so far!

If you can find the parts to convert the Hyper to Brushless, I see nothing wrong with that. Is the transmission metal geared? Brushless motors are harder on drivetrain than nitro, so I'd maybe dig through the drivetrain and check things out before I decided.

Yes, it does have all metal gearing throughout.

I managed to buy a conrod from Australia. Maybe it will work for a bit.

Yes, it does have all metal gearing throughout.

I managed to buy a conrod from Australia. Maybe it will work for a bit.
My only concern with doing an E conversion would just be making sure you can get spare parts for the Hyper 7. Other than that Id say go for it!

Just a bit of an update:
I got the conrod from Australia and the Hyper is at it again! In the meantime, I also got a a Mamba Monster X ESC 2200KV combo to install. I have sourced a motor mount (Hyper VSE), battery tray (Losi 8ight), and a receiver/servo mount (Hyper VSE).

Also I got an Arrma Vorteks brushed kit to give to my son for his birthday in a few weeks. Should be fun!

Just a bit of an update:
I got the conrod from Australia and the Hyper is at it again! In the meantime, I also got a a Mamba Monster X ESC 2200KV combo to install. I have sourced a motor mount (Hyper VSE), battery tray (Losi 8ight), and a receiver/servo mount (Hyper VSE).

Also I got an Arrma Vorteks brushed kit to give to my son for his birthday in a few weeks. Should be fun!
Id be careful with that combo. You'll likely frag the diff gears if your intention is to run it on 6S.

Ok, thanks! Planning on 4s
I mean I can't say for certain that it wont hold up to 6S power but Id prolly spend some time testing the waters with 4S first and see what happens. Those gears should be metal but were originally designed for nitro so Id test the waters first. It will be stupid fast on 4S anyway so unless you're just going for overkill then you prolly wont need more than 4S.

Making some progress.
Really just waiting on a battery now. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out so far.
IMG_20221119_201541044.jpg
IMG_20221122_164534702_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221122_164523927_HDR.jpg

I got a bit impatient and wanted to do some quick testing and checking so I rigged a 20v power tool battery to go in. I can't drive it too rough since it is more likely to fall outfall out, but just taking it easy. Or come unplugged than a legitimate battery.
IMG_20221123_120410504.jpg