Restoration Project #12 - Kyosho Giga Crusher DF - Twin Engine Monster Truck - Not sure what to do with this one?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Been a while since I had a resto thread.
Scored this what I think is a rare truck and a SavageX 4.6 for USD $100.
Basically I just wanted to see this thing in person, the way its designed and how it all works together, now I am in doubt whether to even begin restoring this, or just sell it.
From what I can see, to get it going, it will need a second exhaust pipe, throttle linkage and the main issue is the starting mechanism for one if the engines is completely missing, I think this would be quite difficult to MacGyver.

What do you folks reckon?

Cheers

giga1.jpg

giga22.jpg

giga23.jpg

giga24.jpg

giga25.jpg

giga26.jpg

giga27.jpg

Nice truck. What motor is it? You can always box it and toss in another block or two.

That is a rare find! And it's in great shape to boot. I would create an ebay search and have it notify you if any Kyosho Giga stuff turns up. You never know. You may be able to completely restore it. That would be a shelf queen in my Kyosho herd FOR SURE!

Nice truck. What motor is it? You can always box it and toss in another block or two.
Its a GS26 Engine, I am kinda looking how I can go about this at minimal cost haha

That is a rare find! And it's in great shape to boot. I would create an ebay search and have it notify you if any Kyosho Giga stuff turns up. You never know. You may be able to completely restore it. That would be a shelf queen in my Kyosho herd FOR SURE!
I had quick look on eBay and got scare away when I saw how much ppl are asking for some basic parts :)
That alone tells me, yes it seems quite rare this one.

Oh and btw, the truck came with a bag full of parts, which include the fuel tanks...etc, but not the other ones missing

Its a GS26 Engine, I am kinda looking how I can go about this at minimal cost haha

I had quick look on eBay and got scare away when I saw how much ppl are asking for some basic parts :)
That alone tells me, yes it seems quite rare this one.

Oh and btw, the truck came with a bag full of parts, which include the fuel tanks...etc, but not the other ones missing
Keep your eyes open for another complete truck. Then you'll have spares. Might be a lot cheaper that way.

That is a good idea, and always a money saver!

I am having issues finding an exploded view for GS26 engine.
The original Giga Crusher DF manual doesn't contain the engine exploded view.

First off.... very awesome. I've owned two in my lifetime. This one is the one i own now. A brand new one i assembled from a kit and kept it very carefully preserved. This model is very difficult to get parts for but if your patient you can definitly restore it with all new parts. Just one engine usually brings 250-400 depending on condition. If your clever and do research you will find that some parts do cross over to other kyosho models

20221211_125831.jpg

20220901_201854.jpg

20221211_130117.jpg

First off.... very awesome. I've owned two in my lifetime. This one is the one i own now. A brand new one i assembled from a kit and kept it very carefully preserved. This model is very difficult to get parts for but if your patient you can definitly restore it with all new parts. Just one engine usually brings 250-400 depending on condition. If your clever and do research you will find that some parts do cross over to other kyosho models

View attachment 163653

View attachment 163654

View attachment 163655
Totally jealous. I should go clean up....... I got drool all over my keyboard.

Totally jealous. I should go clean up....... I got drool all over my keyboard.
When i was a teenager and obsessed with rc especially this model i could not afford it. It was very expensive in 2003. I bought one on discount from towerhobbies in 2007 and built it and ran it. It was actually a very reliable and functional model. I ran maybe 5 gallons through it and sold it to pay bills in 2008

Now that I'm older and have cash to burn. I get to re live my youth anytime i like by pulling this thing out and staring at it while drinking beer

When i was a teenager and obsessed with rc especially this model i could not afford it. It was very expensive in 2003. I bought one on discount from towerhobbies in 2007 and built it and ran it. It was actually a very reliable and functional model. I ran maybe 5 gallons through it and sold it to pay bills in 2008

Now that I'm older and have cash to burn. I get to re live my youth anytime i like by pulling this thing out and staring at it while drinking beer
Seems like a great way to pass time. Though I moved to grandpa's old cough medicine. At first I thought you put you pull it out and drive it drinking beer!🤪 Had to re-read.

Seems like a great way to pass time. Though I moved to grandpa's old cough medicine. At first I thought you put you pull it out and drive it drinking beer!🤪 Had to re-read.
🤣🤣 right before i die I'm gonna get wasted and drive all my nos models including this one

🤣🤣 right before i die I'm gonna get wasted and drive all my nos models including this one
With my luck, I would not die and have wrecked stuff, or die to early to enjoy. Props for being on point with the time. 😄

View attachment 163653

View attachment 163654

View attachment 163655
That looks beautiful!

Couldn't agree more. 😁🤣

I might just throw in the attic and wait for another one to come up for sale.
They did another version, same like this one but with single engine.
That engine backplate bits and pieces are impossible to source, unless a listing comes up on ebay.
I ended up selling the SavageX that came in this bundle, so Giga Crusher pretty much came out for free.

Still having issues locating GS26 exploded view, if someone can help that would be great.

Awesome model, I really like the intake manifold that makes the hood scoop a functional intake!

Awesome model, I really like the intake manifold that makes the hood scoop a functional intake!

Yea, that is a really nice touch on this model, unfortunately I am missing this piece, so a filter on each engine will be the way to go.

Yea, that is a really nice touch on this model, unfortunately I am missing this piece, so a filter on each engine will be the way to go.
Lol those stupid intakes go for 250-350 by themselves. I've only ever seen one for sale in the last decade

I can't believe the tires are that condition. They look like they were never used.

Hey Guys

Been a while since I had a resto thread.
Scored this what I think is a rare truck and a SavageX 4.6 for USD $100.
Basically I just wanted to see this thing in person, the way its designed and how it all works together, now I am in doubt whether to even begin restoring this, or just sell it.
From what I can see, to get it going, it will need a second exhaust pipe, throttle linkage and the main issue is the starting mechanism for one if the engines is completely missing, I think this would be quite difficult to MacGyver.

What do you folks reckon?

Cheers

View attachment 163622

View attachment 163623

View attachment 163624

View attachment 163625

View attachment 163626

View attachment 163627

View attachment 163628
Oh man I always thought this truck was so cool back in the day. I can't wait to see it all cleaned up!

Back