Replacement servo specs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speck

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
HI All,
I'm quite new to RC and I need help to choose a replacement servo for my Kyosho Inferno MP9e.

I'm wondering if I need to be particularly careful on choosing the servo, like about voltages, current draw or anything like that.

The one that was in the car before has the following specs (it is widely regarded as a weak point in this RTR spec Inferno):
Torque: 124.98 oz-in (9kg-cm)
Speed: 0.15 @6.0V

I'm looking at the Savox range and the choice is a bit overwhelming. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For that kit, I would be looking for a metal gear servo, with at least 150 oz-in torque. The more the better. And if you plan to race it, look for something with the lowest time/60°. Getting to .1 or lower speed will be a noticeable difference. From there, just whatever fits your budget. To increase your options, you can get an external BEC and find a servo that can handle more voltage, like a 7.4v or 8.4v capable servo.

For that kit, I would be looking for a metal gear servo, with at least 150 oz-in torque. The more the better. And if you plan to race it, look for something with the lowest time/60°. Getting to .1 or lower speed will be a noticeable difference. From there, just whatever fits your budget. To increase your options, you can get an external BEC and find a servo that can handle more voltage, like a 7.4v or 8.4v capable servo.
☝️ Agreed. Id personally look for something with 250 oz/in or better and I also like servos with less than .1 speeds although up to about .11 or .12 isnt the worst thing.

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't seem too complex then. I note also the standard size is 40mm height and that's what my Kyosho one was.

I will purchase something at the higher end of the torque spec. Looking forward to observing the difference.

Servos are one part that you get what you pay for. It's crazy how expensive they can get. Tekin, Protek, Hitec, and Savox all make good servos, but there are other brands that are really good too. For buggies, speed is king ;) That Inferno should have a decent built-in servo saver on the bellcrank, if Kyosho still does things like they used to (I only have experience with their Legendary cars). So that was my basis for the torque I suggested.

Having extra torque is more insurance against bumps and wrecks than anything, but so is a good servo saver. And the Kyosho's I have seen have had really good servo saver designs. 150 oz-in is more than enough to turn the wheels on that buggy, but more will make for a servo that can withstand the abuse. And since that buggy has the wheels right out front, it might be a good idea to go higher.

Servos today have gone to crazy torque ratings, which is a good thing, but the price goes up accordingly. Back in the day, you didn't have servos with anywhere near the torque we have available now, and they held up back then. Just sayin. So I would go as fast as you can get, and as much torque as you can afford for a buggy. Buggies also don't have near the scub steer of monster trucks, and vehicles with bigger tires. They are lighter in the front, so a ton of torque on a buggy is not needed as much as other kits.

Do you jump it much? If you do, that will put a beating on a servo. So take that into your torque consideration. Oh, and that kit takes a "standard" sized servo.

Yup, they still use the bellcrank saver. Wicked design, that dates back to the early 80's, at least. This will actually take a lot of the beating before it ever reaches your servo. Plus it has a really nice adjustable tension, so you can tune it to your servo, track conditions, etc.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
HI All,
I'm quite new to RC and I need help to choose a replacement servo for my Kyosho Inferno MP9e.

I'm wondering if I need to be particularly careful on choosing the servo, like about voltages, current draw or anything like that.

The one that was in the car before has the following specs (it is widely regarded as a weak point in this RTR spec Inferno):
Torque: 124.98 oz-in (9kg-cm)
Speed: 0.15 @6.0V

I'm looking at the Savox range and the choice is a bit overwhelming. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance.
Beware, Savox can be very loud

If you are racing, the speed number is a bit slow and that's likely with no load and it will be slower when there is a load on it. . The speed also doesn't give an angle. So it's 0.15S over how much of an arch?

Amain did a buggy build and used Reedy RT1508 servo. This is discontinued but you can use the specs to find something similar.

Back