removing tires from rims???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JESSE G

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok i now know to dye my rims instead of waisting my time painting them but they are glued to the tires is there a way of removing them with out damaging there wheels or the tires? thanks Jesse G :smoke:

I have heard of people boiling them but i have never done it myself. It doesn't allways work out that well i guesss though.

I've heard that alos but really diddnt want to try and mess up my rims or tires that i just bought lol

I have tried boiling as well as baking in an oven. Boiling the rims for 15-20 minutes and then popping them off with a quick motion will break the bead very easily. With baking, you set the oven to about 350 degrees.Place them in an aluminum tray (disposable) and leave them in there for about 15 minutes. THey should pop off very easily. Be careful, they're hot so use ovenmits and don't let your wife, gf or mom see you do it.

The only problem with both proceedures is that it doesn't work perfectly every time. It depends on how thick the ca has been applied. There have been times when I did it that I ripped the rubber and left some attached to the rim. Some people have used a CA removing liquid. It takes time but just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area.

I have boiled the tires off rims before and it has worked great every time. make sure u pull the tire off the rim while its still hot, do not let it cool down because the CA will just harden back up and u will have to boil them again. one negative thing i have heard about reusing the tires after u boil them is that they are softer and wear quicker.

later

Secret "Sauce" to get those tires off

Okay,

My friend at the lhs didn't believe me, but it works. I'm a printer by trade, so I know what "good" solvents are. It takes some real good s... to get that ink off those rollers, lol.

Find a local graphic arts (printing) supplier - ask for Hurstolite or Rogersol. It's a heavy duty roller cleaner.

Pour some into a glass bowl or plastic bowl (test the plastic first though) and put your rims and tires in them. Let them sit for about 2-3 hours - and presto! They'll peel right off.

Trust me on this one.

i put a set of rims in the oven one time and my whole house smelled like a tire fire!

some people put the tires in acetone and it dissolves the ca but i have never tried it myself so i dont know if it works.

I just did this to two sets of tires.
I boiled them for about 10 min, took them out and let them sit for about 1 or 2 min, then put one under cold running water while popping the tire bead from the rim. It worked very cleanly. Apparently the shock of going from hot to cold broke the bond.
Don't worry about tire wear. I have a set of Imex tires that I did this twice with and had no ill results, and I just tried it with some Pro-Lines and stock Savage tires with no change to the rubber.

I dont really think that glueing that tires is necessary, i've tried to move the tires on the rim w/o any glue. they dont move too easy. but this is just pure opinion. Please correct me otherwise.

in hard turns they will come off

especially with bigger tires i had and still have a rs4 3 which needs a motor if anyone is willing to give me one and when i first got it i never glued the tires and i was always chasing my tires that went rolling down the street

SMaxDude said:
I dont really think that glueing that tires is necessary, i've tried to move the tires on the rim w/o any glue. they dont move too easy. but this is just pure opinion. Please correct me otherwise.

Its very necessary to glue your tires to the rims if you don't they will just spin on the rims... under hard exceleration they will come right off the rims

ZANDOR said:
Its very necessary to glue your tires to the rims if you don't they will just spin on the rims... under hard exceleration they will come right off the rims

Dude speaks the truth.
Hell, I've learned not to use regular super-glue and get R/C tire glue because it was a given that when I ran my Savage I would pop a tire bead from the rim while cornering.

DarthRacer said:
Dude speaks the truth.
Hell, I've learned not to use regular super-glue and get R/C tire glue because it was a given that when I ran my Savage I would pop a tire bead from the rim while cornering.

First of all I tossed the rims and tires in boiling water pulled them out and began to slowly break the bead off worked pretty good my hands where getting a little toasty lol but it got the job done. As far as not glueing your tires I found out the hard way that you should glue them. I bought a brand new set of rpm rims for my rustler and was excited about running them right away so I tossed on my dirt dawgs took it out on the street and when to drift around a corner and my tire flys off bouning down the street and my brand new rims hit the street and tore the hell out of the chrome I was bummed. So I would say defiently use glue :)

Back