Removing Tires From Alumium Rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterman

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I finally found a set of the Ramtech Rims for the Hpi Savage, whats the best way to go about getting the old tires off? I wouldnt bother but there are a few tears so I might as well go ahead and replace them now.. I have managed to get most of the large pieces of rubber off but where the glue beads are its spotted on and stuck on hard? Boil em or bake em? Whatcha guys think?

I think either way will work... HEAT usually will loosen up the glue.. Some heavy gloves and a Heat gun work well..

I'd figure since there metal use like an acitone or somthing to that extent.

Sitting them in an acetone bath overnight will dissolve all the glue, but I don't know what it would do (if anything) to the finish on the wheels.

I took 16 tires off rims last winter using acetone. I put about an inch in an 8X8 baking pan, laid the tire in it and covered/sealed the pan with saran wrap. I let it sit overnight and when I got up in the morning, the bead soaking would pop right off the rim. Then I'd flip it and go to work, come home and take the other side off. Took me two weeks... but I saved over $150 in tires.

i baked mine. the heat makes the glue brittle and it will come off.

I've done both the baking and boiling.

the baking worked quite a bit better.

I tried boiling for a couple hours. All i got out of it was burnt fingers and nasty smelling water.

haha. i didnt do that.

those things are freaking hot when they comeout of boinling water. still a "well duh" moment for me though huh?

Back