Removing the opti drive?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMAXX84

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
what is the opti drive exactly used for. I was told that i could do away with the Opti. i was under the impression that this controls the transmission with shifting? so my question is if i remove the opti will the truck still perform the same way? I'm going to be doing a FOC on it soon if that will help with your answers.

It keep you from engaging reverse while moving forward.

It can also be known as an idiot box.

You can run the truck without the optidrive. You will need to plug the hole in the tranny with something where the optidrive sensor is mounted.

If you do the FOC, the optidrive will be eliminated and it comes with a plug for the hole in the tranny.

does opti drive affect throttle? the throttle is plugged into it.......i think
my gear in the trans that has the lil opti drive teeth on it well those teeth are broke of and now it will shut the throttle down sometimes while running

does opti drive affect throttle? the throttle is plugged into it.......i think

I never had problems with the stock setup but when I upgraded to the Airtronics 2.4Ghz setup I could never get the throttle servo to settle down with the opti-drive in the circuit. If I pulled it out of the circuit the throttle servo was rock solid. Consequently I decided to leave it out. I'm smart enough to know to stop the truck before shifting into reverse.

I've been happier with the way the truck drives without it, especially when the truck flips over. Without the opti-drive in the circuit you can drive immediately after, with it in there is a lag time.

I never had problems with the stock setup but when I upgraded to the Airtronics 2.4Ghz setup I could never get the throttle servo to settle down with the opti-drive in the circuit. If I pulled it out of the circuit the throttle servo was rock solid. Consequently I decided to leave it out. I'm smart enough to know to stop the truck before shifting into reverse.

I've been happier with the way the truck drives without it, especially when the truck flips over. Without the opti-drive in the circuit you can drive immediately after, with it in there is a lag time.

ya i had the same issue on this used one a picked up. it was the teeth on the main gear that the sensor "see's"
mine is out too and it does not shot the throttle servo down like it used too. the 1st generation t maxx and the 2.5 maxx never used opti drive. i dont see a need for it.