Remove original grease with 4-spider mod?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am doing the 4-spider mod on my brand new diffs and there is a lot of factory grease inside the diff case. I am guessing that I need to remove this grease and the silicon fluid acts as a grease?

That is correct. Remove the old grease and then use the diff lube of your choice.

Will leaving a very little amount of original grease on some of the gears cause any problems?

There shouldn't be any problems. As long as it is a very small amount, but try to clean them as best as you can. You can use some brake cleaner from your local auto parts store to clean everything. If you have an old toothbrush that might help get it out of the diff housing & from b/t the gear teeth.

The only thing you may notice by leaving trace amounts of original grease; is that the next time you go into your diff case, the silicone will have a green tint instead of being clear.

Later....

I don't see what leaving a small amount of the original grease would hurt e/c for the fact that it may make your silicone grease act like a heavier or lighter weight.

It is always best to start with a clean slate when it comes to these things. The reason being that you would at least know what your base line is. If the diff lube you choose to use is contaminated by the original grease, there is no telling for certain whether or not it ups the weight or downs the weight. Heck some greases do not react well with others.

As for cleaning them out, I use a toothbrush, hot water and dish soap (Dawn). Takes a little time (like say five minutes per diff) but it is worth it.

or u can just spend 6 bucks and have new ones b/c if yours is like mine you need new ones b/c the grooves that the pins go in were made about 3 times wider than the new ones and that may couse your diffs to lock up like mine did just look inside the diff and see if its wore out

Back