Regarding lubrication with model engines...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvhCo

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
The inefficiency of 2-stroke lubrication (compared to 4-strokes, at least) had me wondering for a while. How do the O.S. 4-strokes handle the oil? Do they use the same wet sump system as in full-scale cars? I'm trying to see if such a system could be implemented in nitro 2-strokes as well.

Last edited:
The inefficiency of 2-stroke lubrication (compared to 4-strokes, at least) had me wondering for a while. How do the O.S. 4-strokes handle the oil? Do they use the same wet sump system as in full-scale cars? I'm trying to see if such a system could be implemented in nitro 2-strokes as well.

I don't think there is an actual oil pump or injector that is in those engines ,as they get their lube from the fuel!

The 4-s engines don't use that high of nitro count ,the fuel is more oil based content ,an they are mainly air
used engines that get a lot of prop wash for cooling!

The 2-s engine ,some folks will modify the end of the crankshaft by channeling it ,that helps swish the fuel
around as it enters the block of the engine ,they say it helps bounce the fuel around inside!

I have channeled a crank shaft before!

Interesting. I thought 4-strokes do have a separate oiling system.
What if someone would try to implement a dry sump system on such a small engine? Where should the oil injector be placed in order to oil all the parts correctly?

Interesting. I thought 4-strokes do have a separate oiling system.
What if someone would try to implement a dry sump system on such a small engine? Where should the oil injector be placed in order to oil all the parts correctly?

That I wouldn't know ,however ,there is that technology in a weed eater type engine ,the engines
are 4-cycle though ,they take motor oil in the crank case an use what you call a slapper ,which is
basicly a piece of metal that slaps the oil around!

Those engines can not be turned upside down!

Back